Like hat tricks, these boot toppers are showstoppers!
Northern climates need cosy wearables. And these boot toppers, designed for us by Fiona Ellis, add both style and warmth to your favourite boots. Designed in two weights of yarn - fingering weight Ancient Arts Hat Trick or a worsted weight yarn like Cascade 220, Berroco Ultra Wool, Rowan Pure Wool, this topper design also includes two style options (we call that a “double-double”). These are a quick and easy gift-giving project that’s sure to score!
Our samples include Toppers in Ancient Arts Hat Trick (fingering weight) Edmonton colourway, and RCY Epic (worsted weight) in colours: Ivory (cream) and Camel (beige). We've made new samples using RCY El Rio in Soft Sage (light green) and Juniper (dark green) and Julie Asselin Nurtured (we used two skeins) in colour Miel.
SIZES / FINISHED MEASUREMENTS: X-Small / Small, (Medium / Large, X-large / 2XL).
- Calf measures: 8 (12, 16) inches / 20.5 (30.5, 40.5) cm.
- Designed to fit calf measuring 8-10 (12-14, 16-18) inches / 20.5-25.5 (20.5-35.5, 40.5-46) cm.
- 1 skein RCY Hat Trick; 100% wool, 507 m per 150g skein in shade: Edmonton Approx. yardage required: 150 (200, 260) yds / 137 (182, 237) meters
- 1 ball RCY Epic Worsted; 100% virgin wool 200m per 100gm ball. Our samples are shown in 100 Ivory and 150 Camel. Approx. yardage required: 80 (120, 160) yds / 73 (110, 146) meters Note: River City Yarns Epic Yarn has been discontinued. For substitutions, we recommend Cascade 220 which is also a 100% Peruvian wool, for the closest fibre match. Alternatively, Berroco Ultra Wool or Rowan Pure Wool Worsted would also be good matches if you would like a superwash wool substitution.
GAUGE: Gauge is very important; please check to ensure that your boot toppers come out the correct size
- Hat Trick: 28 sts & 40 rnds = 4 inches / 10 cm over rib & cable patt.
- Epic: 19 sts & 25 rnds = 4 in / 10 cm over rib & cable patt.
NEEDLES & NOTIONS
- Hat Trick: US size 2 / 2.75 mm needles for working in the round: DPNs, 2 circulars or 1 long circular as you prefer.
- Epic: US size 7 / 4.5 mm needles for working in the round: DPNs, 2 circulars or 1 long circular as you prefer.
- Stitch markers
- Cable needle
Designed exclusively for River City Yarns by Fiona Ellis.