We love online learning. Especially when we're able to bring great instructors like Kate Atherley right to you. Using Zoom as our online videoconferencing platform, you can take this class from anywhere.
Untangling Toe Up
Toe up socks? Why not! With toe up socks, you'll never have to worry about running out of yarn; you can work until the yarn runs out and then, bind off. In this two part class, Kate will show you how to make toe-up socks on double-pointed needles.
She'll teach you everything you need to know to work toe-up: from handling the special cast-on and turning the heel to the stretchy, elastic bind-offs required. We'll start off on a mini sock and make sure you’re equipped to get started on your first full-size sock. Along the way, Kate will share lots of tips and techniques: choosing the right yarn, getting the right size of sock, working tidy short rows and hole-free gussets and heels. Kate will also demonstrate "magic loop" for knitting in the round on one (longer) circular. Patterns provided by Kate allow for the use of DPNs, magic loop or two circulars.
Skill Level: you are comfortable working in the round on a small circumference (e.g. you've made a pair of mittens or socks using double pointed needles, magic loop or two circulars before).
This three-hour class takes place over two consecutive Fridays: May 12 (2 hours) & May 19 (1 hour) starting at 9:00 am PST, 10:00 am MST, 11:00 am CST, 12:00 pm EST, 1:00 pm AST.
Kate Atherley has been teaching knitting professionally for more than 15 years at stores and events all over Canada, the U.S. and the U.K. Her latest book, Custom-Fit Hats is her ninth, and the fourth in a series on customizing projects for perfect fit and style; it joins works on shawls, socks, and mittens. Her focus in all her work is the empowerment of knitters, illuminating both the methods and mechanics of the craft. The combination of her university degree in mathematics, professional experience in software development and usability, and training in garment and fashion design give her a unique perspective. She also works as a technical editor, helping other designers and authors bring their work into the world. She lives in Toronto with her husband and the family of skunks under their porch. www.kateatherley.com
Read these helpful tips before you register:
- You have to pay the registration fee in advance to hold your seat. You can register online or call the store at 780-477-9276 to make a payment over the phone.
- Time Zones: the class times listed are Mountain Time (MT).
- As this is an online class, you will need to have Zoom downloaded on a computer, tablet or mobile device. If using a computer, make sure you also have a webcam and microphone built in or attached.
- The class session(s) will be recorded and copies of all/segments of the class will be available for you to review for a limited time after the class session(s).
- Refunds? If you cancel 14 days (or more) prior to your workshop date, we will transfer your registration fee to a RCY gift card at no charge or offer a refund less a 10% cancellation fee. The cost of any materials provided to you will be subtracted from any refunds/transfers.
- No refunds will be made if you have to cancel less than 14 days before your class is scheduled to begin. If minimum enrolment is not met we reserve the right to cancel the class. A full refund of your registration fee will be given should this situation arise.
Questions, comments, concerns, suggestions? Please contact email@example.com.