We've arranged to hold a class with Ann Budd on Zoom. You can take this class from the comfort of your own home and the sessions will be recorded, in case you have any internet connection issues.
Make it Your Own: Skirt Class
Knitted skirts are becoming wardrobe staples and they are a lot easier to knit than you might think--because they're knitted in the round with very little shaping, they make ideal take-a-long projects. Skirts are as comfortable sweatpants, but a whole lot more attractive. Ann wears them in all but the hottest summer weather. Learn how to take proper waist and hip measurements and combine them with your gauge to create a "pleated" skirt with a perfect fit, no matter your size. In this four-session online class spanning eight weeks, Ann will guide you through every step of creating a custom skirt, including ways to add your own stitch patterns. Time has been added to this workshop schedule for you to complete your homework.
Some examples of Ann's designs are Putting on the Pleats, Traveling Pleats, and Tavia. You’ll leave this workshop with a personalized skirt pattern for your yarn and gauge.
The next session of this workshop will take place on Wednesdays: August 30, September 6, 27 and October 18. Note: there will be no class on September 13, 20, Oct 4 or 11). Each 90-minute session will begin at 3:30 pm PST, 4:30 pm MST, 5:30 pm CST, 6:30 pm EST, 7:30 pm AST.
Session 1 : Overview of skirt construction, taking body measurements, choosing yarn, knitting a gauge swatch;
Session 2: Casting on for waistband;
Session 3: Mirrored increases for darts, gore increases, adding patterns in pleats, adding patterns in gores;
Session 4: Binding off, blocking, and inserting elastic.
Skills Required: must be comfortable knitting in rounds, increasing, and taking body measurements.
- Yarn: you can use fingering/sock weight, sportweight, DK or worsted-weight yarn. A guide for yarn amounts will be downloaded with your registration.
- Needles: you will also need a 60cm / 24 inch circular needle, in a couple of sizes. You will receive more guidance about needle sizes and swatching in the first class.
- Waistband elastic (purchase later, after Session 2)
- your knitting notions collection (measuring tape, stitch markers, tapestry needle, scissors)
Ann Budd is a teacher, writer, designer, and founder of Knit for Fun Retreats. She is the author of more than a dozen books, including The Knitter’s Handy Book series, Getting Started Knitting Socks, Sock Knitting Master Class, New Directions in Sock Knitting, and many of books in Interweave’s Style series. Ann lives in Boulder, Colorado, and teaches workshops across North America and beyond. Learn more at annbuddknits.com.
Read these helpful tips before you register:
- You have to pay the registration fee in advance to hold your seat. You can register online or call the store at 780-477-9276 to make a payment over the phone.
- Time Zones: the class times listed are Mountain Standard Time (MST).
- As this is an online class, you will need to have Zoom downloaded on a computer, tablet or mobile device. If using a computer, make sure you also have a webcam and microphone built in or attached.
- The class session(s) will be recorded and copies of all/segments of the class will be available for you to review for a limited time after the class session(s).
- Refunds? If you cancel 14 days (or more) prior to your workshop date, we will provide a refund less a 10% cancellation fee. The cost of any materials provided to you will be subtracted from any refunds/transfers.
- No refunds will be made if you have to cancel less than 14 days before your class is scheduled to begin. If minimum enrolment is not met we reserve the right to cancel the class. A full refund of your registration fee will be given should this situation arise.
Questions, comments, concerns, suggestions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.