We love online meetups. Especially when the topic is machine knitting and discussing what can be done on our handy LK-150 flatbed knitting machines. Barb and Cynthia host a zoom Machine Knitters support group that meets once a month to do a show and tell of machine knit projects and discuss techniques and key learnings. Each month Barb will present a learning challenge for the group and do a demo on the technique used in that challenge.
Becoming a "smooth operator".
The best way to get good at machine knitting is to practice. And the best way to practice is by making things on your machine! Come join our monthly group and build your skills. Here's what's coming up this fall.
September - Open vs Closed Cast-On - There are two basic types of Cast Ons for knitting machines. Open cast ons leave the stitches live so you can pick them up later to bind off or add another trim (decorative ruffle or ribbing). Often though, we want a closed cast-on so our edges are finished before we start knitting. Closed cast ons can be simple and plain or more complex and fancy. Barb will demo and show swatches of these cast-on methods.
October - Intarsia Knitting (and the Rutherford Vest) - this knitting style - also known as picture knitting, uses colour to create a pattern in fabric. Intarsia creates a single layer fabric and can be done with hand manipulation or with the use of an intarsia carriage. Barb will do a demo of knitting the Diamond pattern and show swatches and her finished Rutherford Vest.
November - Lace - Using your transfer tools to move stitches and create holes, you can make lace designs on your machine! Barb will talk about the relationship between slanted decreases like SSK's and K2tog's and YO's (yarn overs) and how to make these stitches on your machine.
December - Diagonal Knitting - A great way to have fun with self patterning yarns, or to use up stash! Barb will demo how to knit on the diagonal and some project ideas you can make on your LK150 knitting machine, for yourself or for gift giving.
These online meetups take place once a month, usually on Sundays. Can't make it? No worries! The sessions will be recorded.
- Your finished items and swatches made on your LK 150 knitting machine
- Resources like books, videos and online tutorial links you recommend.
- A desire to learn and share
Barb Barone and Cynthia Hyslop
Barb Barone and Cynthia Hyslop are the dynamic, Canadian, sister-duo behind Podcast On! This monthly video podcast presents a behind the scenes review of fibre related products and events from their local yarn shop (LYS) in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and other interesting locations. Their YouTube channel also provides tutorials, tours, and interviews with designers, dyers, and makers. These sisters have extensive experience in corporate training, management and presentation. But it was their experience as yarn shop owners that honed their skills for teaching fibre crafts.
Barb and Cynthia have always offered workshops as part of their LYS offerings. For over 20 years, they've been educating and supporting their customers and have a knack for helping you to feel welcome and at ease in their classes. They have a wide range of interests and areas of expertise that incorporate: knitting, crochet, spinning, machine knitting, colour and yarn choices. As yarn shop owners, they are also creative problem solvers!
And now, Barb and Cynthia are sharing their yarn shop knowledge and expertise with makers around the globe, via live (and recorded) virtual classes. Join in, learn and ask questions, build new skills at your pace and gain confidence in your abilities with Barb and Cynthia as your coaches.
Read these helpful tips before you register:
- You have to pay the registration fee in advance to hold your seat. You can register online or call the store at 780-477-9276 to make a payment over the phone.
- Time Zones: the class times listed are Mountain Time (MT).
- As this is an online class, you will need to have Zoom downloaded on a computer, tablet or mobile device. If using a computer, make sure you also have a webcam and microphone built in or attached.
- The class session(s) will be recorded and copies of all/segments of the class will be available for you to review for a limited time after the class session(s).
- Refunds? If you cancel 14 days (or more) prior to your workshop date, we will transfer your registration fee to a RCY gift card at no charge or offer a refund less a 10% cancellation fee. The cost of any materials provided to you will be subtracted from any refunds/transfers.
- No refunds will be made if you have to cancel less than 14 days before your class is scheduled to begin. If minimum enrolment is not met we reserve the right to cancel the class. A full refund of your registration fee will be given should this situation arise.
Questions, comments, concerns, suggestions? Please contact email@example.com.