We love online learning. Especially when we're able to bring great instructors like Fiona Ellis right to you. We're using Zoom as our videoconferencing platform and giving you the "best seat in the house" for classes.
What it's All About
Here is a way to look at making a simple knit garment very special and totally unique. Each week Fiona will demonstrate 2-3 different methods of embellishing your projects, some technical, some whimsical. During the class participants will have chance to work on their own individual samples exploring the endless possibilities this approach has to offer. You'll be inspired to try these techniques to add fun, whimsical elements, tone on tone texture or highlights to patterning in a more sophisticated way. The applications extend beyond hand knitted garments to include non knitters with a a look at visible mending and decorative effects for store-bought items. You might also consider using the techniques to add character to toys and gnomes!
Techniques that will be discussed and demonstrated will include: simple embroidery stitches (including chain stitch, cross stitch, spider webs, bullion knots), adding feature beads, buttons and large scale sequins, a look at adding knitted appliqué and not forgetting duplicate stitch - which every knitter needs to know how to do.
We'll deliver this 3 hour workshop in three, 60-minute weekly sessions, giving you time to practice your new skills and ask questions. Come and join us on Thursdays, January 11, 18 and 25 starting at 2:00 pm PDT, 3:00 pm MDT, 4:00 pm CDT, 5:00 pm EDT, 6:00 pm ADT. It will be recorded (see helpful tips below).
Materials: blunt ended sewing needle, a few lengths of smooth medium weight yarns, and beads, fancy buttons, small scraps of non fraying fabric that you may have.
Homework: small piece of stockinette fabric (approx 6 in x 6 in), or store bought knitted item for repair or decorating.
Skill Level: Adventurous beginner!
Fiona Ellis is a graduate of DeMontfort University (England) with a degree in fashion knitwear design. She has been designing professionally for 30 years and is a registered yoga instructor. She is the author of Inspired Cable Knits, Knitspiration Journal and Inspired Fair Isle Knits. She is also an instructor on Craftsy. You can find her designs on Ravelry here. Why take a class with Fiona? She's knowledgeable and talented but even more important, she's patient and kind. You'll learn so much from Fiona (just like Barb and Cynthia)!
Read these helpful tips before you register:
- You have to pay the registration fee in advance to hold your seat. You can register online or call the store at 780-477-9276 to make a payment over the phone.
- As this is an online class, you will need to have Zoom downloaded on a computer, tablet or mobile device. If using a computer, make sure you also have a webcam and microphone built in or attached.
- The class session(s) will be recorded and copies of all/segments of the class will be available for you to review for a limited time after the class session(s).
- Refunds? If you cancel 14 days (or more) prior to your workshop date, we will transfer your registration fee to a RCY gift card at no charge or offer a refund less a 10% cancellation fee. The cost of any materials provided to you will be subtracted from any refunds/transfers.
- No refunds will be made if you have to cancel less than 14 days before your class is scheduled to begin. If minimum enrolment is not met we reserve the right to cancel the class. A full refund of your registration fee will be given should this situation arise.
Questions, comments, concerns, suggestions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.