Just about the warmest hat you can make, worked with double-stranded pure wool RCY Epic Yarn, with the addition of the fantastic super-bulky weight handpainted merino to create a built-in lining. With all the charm and warmth of a traditional thrummed hat, this thrummish version is easier to knit. Check out our Thrummish Mittens for a super warm and completely coordinated winter set!
This hat is warm! We used our RCY Epic yarn double stranded to create a densely knit base and add in super soft, bulky and squishy Fleece Artist Flouf to create the bright "thrummish" hearts and line the inside of this hat with an extra layer of merino wool warmth.
This pattern is available as a PDF Download (instant download at checkout). Or, if you prefer, it's available through Ravelry here.
- MC: River City Yarns Epic Yarn; 206 yds / 188 m per 31⁄2 oz / 100 g ball; 100% wool: 2 (2, 2, 2, 3) balls in 800 Bison Note: River City Yarns Epic Yarn has been discontinued. For substitutions, we recommend Cascade 220 which is also a 100% Peruvian wool, for the closest fibre match. Alternatively, Berroco Ultra Wool or Rowan Pure Wool Worsted would also be good matches if you would like a superwash wool substitution.
- CC: River City Yarns Chunk-a-delic; 100% New Zealand Merino wool; 109 yds / 100m per 7 oz / 200g skein; 1 skein in Fortunate Sun. Note: Chunk-a-delic has been replaced with Fleece Artist Flouf.
To Fit Head Circumference: approx 15.75 (18, 20.25, 22.25, 24.5) ins / 40 (45.5, 51.5, 56.5, 62) cm
Gauge: 15 sts and 19 rnds = 4 ins / 10 cm using larger needles in Colourwork Pattern with double stranded Epic Yarn plus the Flouf.
Needles and Notions:
- US Size 8 / 5mm 16 ins / 40cm circular needle
- US Size 9 / 5.5mm 16 ins / 40cm circular needle
- US Size 9 / 5.5mm needles for working small circumference in the round: DPNs, two circulars or a long circular as you prefer. Stitch marker
- 2 stitch markers