Designed by Nigel Pottle, this cowl and hat pay homage to the columns, ribs and vaulted arches of architecture from the Romanesque period. The vertical, slip-stitch pillars and brick-like garter stitch striping recalls those beautiful buildings and the comfort they bring to those who visit them. The choice of an all- natural yarn (100% wool Epic Yarn or 100% alpaca El Rio) makes this combo warm and cozy.
Choose from two options for this product: Print Pattern (requires shipping), or PDF Download (instant download at checkout).
- In Epic Yarn: 71⁄2 ins / 19 cm high; 28 ins / 71 cm in circumference, blocked.
- In El Rio: 71⁄2 ins / 19 cm high; 28 ins / 71cm in circumference, blocked.
- In Epic Yarn: 171⁄2, (181⁄2, 191⁄2) ins / 44.5, 47, 49.5) cm in circumference; 73⁄4 (8, 81⁄2) ins / 19.5 (20.5, 21.5) cm in height, blocked.
- In El Rio: 171⁄2 (181⁄2, 201⁄2) ins / 44.5, (47, 52) cm in circumference; 73⁄4 (8, 81⁄4) ins / 19.5, (20.5, 21) cm in height, blocked.
Using Epic Yarn: 17 sts and 22 rows = 4 ins / 10 cm over Main Pattern, after blocking.
Using El Rio: 17 sts and 21 rows = 4 ins / 10 cm over Main Pattern, after blocking.
Note: El Rio knits up at a slightly tighter gauge than Epic Yarn but is easily blocked to the correct size. Take the time to check gauge and adjust needle size if necessary.
River City Yarns Epic Yarn; 194 m / 212 yds per 100g ball; 100% virgin wool
MC: 1 ball in Morning Sky (#410) for either the Cowl or the Hat
CC: 1 ball in Navy (#400) for either the Cowl or the Hat
River City Yarns El Rio; 200 m / 219 yds per 100g skein; 100% Baby Alpaca:
MC: 1 skein in Light Grey for either the Cowl or the Hat
CC: 1 skein in Burgundy for either the Cowl or the Hat
To make both (Cowl and Hat) projects: 2 balls/skeins of MC & 1 ball/skein of CC.
NEEDLES & NOTIONS:Using Epic Yarn: US size 7 / 4.5 mm circular needle suitable to work a small circumference, or 32 in / 80 cm circular needle for working Magic Loop.
- Stitch Marker to indicate end of round
- Tapestry needle for sewing in ends
Designed exclusively for River City Yarns by Nigel Pottle.
This pattern is available on Ravelry: add to cart