Online learning has many advantages. Especially when we can bring great instructors, like Fiona Ellis, direct to you through Zoom.
Knitting + Zen = Yoga Mat Bag
Join us for a project based, learn-as-you-go class with Fiona Ellis to complete her Tree Pose Yoga Mat Bag design. You'll begin with a cable swatch (a sneaky way of making a gauge swatch) and practice reading charts. You'll learn about different types of cable crosses and how these can be used to create interesting shapes. There will also be a short tutorial on making I-cord. After class you can cast on and begin your bag. Our second session will focus on the short rows required for the base of the bag and Fiona will encourage you to try knitting backwards as a way to avoid repetitive "turning". Fiona will demonstrate finishing techniques, such as seaming reverse stockinette.
This two-part workshop takes place over 2 weeks in 90 minute sessions: Thursday, May 19 and 26 starting at 4:00 pm PDT, 5:00 pm MDT, 6:00 pm CDT, 7:00 pm EDT, 8:00 pm ADT.
Skill Level: Adventurous beginner / Intermediate: if you're familiar with simple cable crosses and basic increases and decreases and you're comfortable reading a chart or following line by line instructions, you have the skills required for this class!
- a copy of Fiona's Tree Pose Yoga Mat Bag pattern, available here: https://rivercityyarns.com/products/tree-pose-yoga-mat
- DK or Worsted weight yarn to complete your Yoga Mat Bag (see pattern for yarn requirements)
- If using DK weight yarn, bring 3.5mm / US 4 knitting needles plus 2 x double pointed needles in the same size; if using Worsted weight yarn, bring 3.75mm / US 5 knitting needles plus 2 x double pointed needles in the same size. The double pointed needles will be used for knitting i-cord.
- one cable needle and one tapestry needle
Prework (completely optional): just in case you'd like to get a jump start on the in-class exercise, you can cast on for your swatch and work the first 2 rows:
Cast on 27 sts and work 2 rows in seed st.
Row 1 (RS): Following instructions for row 1 of chart; P2, place marker, work 23 sts from chart, place marker, p2.
Row 2 (WS): Following instructions for row 2 of chart; K2, place marker, work 23 sts from chart, place marker, k2.
About Fiona Ellis
Fiona Ellis is a graduate of DeMontfort University (England) with a degree in fashion knitwear design. Her designs are available in leading magazine publications including on-line at Twist Collective. She is the author of Inspired Cable Knits, Knitspiration Journal and Inspired Fair Isle Knits. You can find out what she is currently doing at fionaellisonline.com—check out her blog post on the 9th of each month. Why take a class with Fiona? She's knowledgeable and talented but even more important, she's patient and kind. You'll learn so much from Fiona (just like Barb and Cynthia)!
Read these helpful tips before you register:
- You have to pay the registration fee in advance to hold your seat. You can register online or call the store at 780-477-9276 to make a payment over the phone.
- As this is an online class, you will need to have Zoom downloaded on a computer, tablet or mobile device. If using a computer, make sure you also have a webcam and microphone built in or attached.
- The class session(s) will be recorded and copies of all/segments of the class will be available for you to review for a limited time after the class session(s).
- Refunds? If you cancel 14 days (or more) prior to your workshop date, we will transfer your registration fee to a RCY gift card at no charge or offer a refund less a 10% cancellation fee. The cost of any materials provided to you will be subtracted from any refunds/transfers.
- No refunds will be made if you have to cancel less than 14 days before your class is scheduled to begin. If minimum enrolment is not met we reserve the right to cancel the class. A full refund of your registration fee will be given should this situation arise.
Questions, comments, concerns, suggestions? Please contact email@example.com.