We're going online with our workshops! You can take this class from the comfort of your home, using a free videoconferencing software called Zoom. Please read the Helpful Tips section carefully before registering for this class.
What It's All About
As yarn shop owners, Barb and Cynthia have developed some expertise in "subbing yarns". In this workshop, we'll break down the information you need to be able to make better choices when searching for a yarn substitution. Working from patterns, you'll learn how to take the information provided (recommended yarn, gauge requirements, needle size) to guide your search for a yarn substitution that will have the best chance of working successfully. We'll review the math required to calculate your total yarn needs and provide tips for estimating modest alterations (adding length, for example).
We'll discuss fibre content considerations, swatching, using different dyelots and tips for avoiding the game of "yarn chicken". In this primarily lecture style workshop, participants will gain a better understanding of how to find suitable yarn substitutions. Important considerations, like fibre content, weight to meterage ratios, processing, spin method will be addressed. Calculating total meterage requirements for the replacement yarn and using a scale to estimate yarn usage "on the go" will be covered as well as techniques for adding in different dyelots or another colour.
This 2-hour online workshop takes place on Saturday, October 8 at 9:00 am PDT, 10:00 am MDT, 11:00 am CDT, 12:00 pm EDT, 1:00 pm ADT.
Can I take this class?
Yes! There are no prerequisites for this class. The content of the class is applicable to both knitters and crocheters.
Read these helpful tips before you register:
- You have to pay the registration fee in advance to hold your seat. You can register online or call the store at 780-477-9276 to make a payment over the phone. You will receive an online class invite within 24 hours of registering.
- As this is an online class, you will need to have Zoom downloaded on a computer, tablet or mobile device. If using a computer, make sure you also have a webcam and microphone built in or attached.
- The class session(s) will be recorded and copies of all/segments of the class will be available for you to review for a limited time after the class session(s).
- Refunds? If you cancel 7 days (or more) prior to your workshop date, we will transfer your registration fee to a RCY gift card at no charge or offer a refund less a 10% cancellation fee. The cost of any materials provided to you will be subtracted from any refunds/transfers.
- No refunds will be made if you have to cancel less than 7 days before your class is scheduled to begin. If minimum enrolment is not met we reserve the right to cancel the class. A full refund of your registration fee will be given should this situation arise.
Questions, comments, concerns, suggestions? Please contact email@example.com.
Private group or individual sessions are also available. For information please email Cynthia (see above).