We've arranged to hold a class with Ann Budd on Zoom. You can take this class from the comfort of your own home and the session will be recorded, in case you have any internet connection issues.
Knitting Top-Down (Cuff to Toe) Socks
In this 4-lesson online class, you’ll learn the basics of top-down sock construction as explained in Getting Started Knitting Socks and how to use foot measurements and knitting gauge to knit a perfect pair of socks, no matter the foot size or yarn gauge. Beginning with a flexible cast-on at the top of the leg, through a flap-and-gusset heel, and ending with Kitchener stitch at the toe, Ann will demonstrate every step necessary to make a pair of socks for any size from child to large adult.
A handout including a customized pattern will be provided. Homework is required in advance of first class.
Some experience knitting in the round is helpful to you. If you can complete the homework (see #2 below), you'll be fine.
- Choose a yarn that’s at least 75% wool and composed of two (or more) plies. If using sock yarn (i.e. fingering weight), you’ll need about 300 yards (275 meters) for children, 400 yards (365 meters) for women, or 450 yards (411 meters) for men’s socks. You’ll need less of heavier yarns.
- Work a gauge swatch on 40 stitches, worked in rounds, changing needles if necessary until you get a sturdy fabric that you like. Measure your gauge over 2” (5 cm) and divide by 2 to get the number of stitches (including fraction of stitches) per inch.
- Use a tape measure to measure the circumference of the widest part of your foot (excluding any bunions); typically this is around the ball of your foot.
- Homework swatch and measurements;
- yarn and needles used to get gauge;
- needles one size larger than used to get gauge;
- removable (safety-pin type) stitch markers;
- tapestry needle;
- Getting Started Knitting Socks by Ann Budd (optional).
Ann BuddAnn Budd is a teacher, writer, designer, and founder of Knit for Fun Retreats. She is the author of more than a dozen books, including The Knitter’s Handy Book series, Getting Started Knitting Socks, Sock Knitting Master Class, New Directions in Sock Knitting, and many of books in Interweave’s Style series. Ann lives in Boulder, Colorado, and teaches workshops across North America and beyond. Learn more at annbuddknits.com.
Read these helpful tips before you register:
- You have to pay the registration fee in advance to hold your seat. You can register online or call the store at 780-477-9276 to make a payment over the phone.
- Time Zones: the class times listed are Mountain Standard Time (MST).
- As this is an online class, you will need to have Zoom downloaded on a computer, tablet or mobile device. If using a computer, make sure you also have a webcam and microphone built in or attached.
- The class session(s) will be recorded and copies of all/segments of the class will be available for you to review for a limited time after the class session(s).
- Refunds? If you cancel 14 days (or more) prior to your workshop date, we will transfer your registration fee to a RCY gift card at no charge or offer a refund less a 10% cancellation fee. The cost of any materials provided to you will be subtracted from any refunds/transfers.
- No refunds will be made if you have to cancel less than 14 days before your class is scheduled to begin. If minimum enrolment is not met we reserve the right to cancel the class. A full refund of your registration fee will be given should this situation arise.
Questions, comments, concerns, suggestions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.