Every summer we make a few of these bandana style cowls, called The Shift, designed by Andrea Mowry. As Andrea says, "This cowl is the perfect all-the-time accessory! And the answer for all of those knitters out there who love to knit shawls, but have a hard time styling them. A fun and engaging knit with shifting colors, that looks like an asymmetrical triangle shawl, and it only takes a fiddle-free second to throw it on as the finish to every outfit!"
For our summer time shift kit we like Berroco Medina, a soft cotton blend with colours that ebb and flow in a long repeat, simulating handspun yarns. The generous yardage in Medina means no fear of running out of yarn for this project. When paired with Brooklyn Tweed Peerie, the 100% merino creates a soft and pliable fabric that contrasts and complements Medina, and with itself in the various sections of slip stitch colourwork. We've included one of our smart little black ripstop project bags to keep your project handy, clean and ready to take with you wherever you're headed.
Note - our sample photos were made with colourways that are no longer available or discontinued. The key is use colours that are completely different from each other so that you have lots of contrast. We've picked colours for our kits that will compliment yet contrast. Don't be afraid to change out a colour if it is too similar to its mate.
Ball Weight: 100 g / 3.5 oz
Ball Length: 270 m / 295 yds
Knitting Gauge: 22 sts & 28 rows = 10cm / 4"
Needle Size: 4.0mm (US 6)
Yarn Fibre: 37% Cotton, 36% Acrylic, 27% Viscose
Brooklyn Tweed Peerie
Ball Weight: 50 g / 1.76 oz
Ball Length: 192 m / 210 yds
Knitting Gauge: 24 - 32 sts = 10cm / 4"
Needle Size: 2.75 - 3.5mm (US 2 - 4)
Yarn Fibre: 100% Wool - Merino
Care Instructions: Hand wash cool, lay flat to dry.
Each kit includes:
- 1 Ball of Berroco Medina (we used this as Colour B)
- 2 skeins of Brooklyn Tweed Peerie - (Andrea suggests the darkest colour as Colour A, and the lightest as Colour C)
- 1 RCY black nylon ripstop project bag
You will also need:
- Size US 5/3.75 mm (24”/60 cm circular needle, recommended*) *Cord length is not crucial since this piece is worked flat. (Use the needle size you need to achieve gauge.)
- The Shift Pattern - We don't include this pattern in the kit, because many of you already own it. If you need a copy let us know, or it's available right here on Ravelry
- Scissors, Tapestry Needle and a Row Counter
Note about yarns from our website: Photographs aren't perfect; they don't capture the texture and feel of the yarn. Colours viewed on different monitors may have shade and tone differences from the actual product. If you would like assistance with selecting a colour or an opinion/advice on finding a good yarn for your project, please feel free to give us a call.