We've arranged to hold a class with Ann Budd on Zoom. You can take this class from the comfort of your own home and the session will be recorded, in case you have any internet connection issues.
Cut my knitting? What?!!
Learn how a steek can be added to a simple stranded two-color pattern that’s knitted in the round. Ann will show you how to stabilize the stitches with slipstitch crochet (no sewing machine!), cut open the tube, and secure the cut edges so that button bands (or a zipper) can be added.
An illustrated handout will be provided.
If you’d like to practice the techniques demonstrated, you’ll need two contrasting colors of worsted-weight yarn, size U.S. 7 (4.5 mm) double-pointed knitting needles, 2 stitch markers, size G/6 (4.25 mm) crochet hook, tapestry needle, sharp scissors, and homework swatch (instructions available as download document with registration).
Steeking is a technique used mainly for projects using stranded colourwork. For example, you could turn a pullover into a cardigan by cutting up the front and inserting a zipper or button band. For this reason, it is recommended that you have worked a project in the round, in stranded colourwork. That will make the homework easier. If you are curious and haven't done this before but would like to watch the demonstration to see what it's all about, you are welcome to attend.
Ann BuddAnn Budd is a teacher, writer, designer, and founder of Knit for Fun Retreats. She is the author of more than a dozen books, including The Knitter’s Handy Book series, Getting Started Knitting Socks, Sock Knitting Master Class, New Directions in Sock Knitting, and many of books in Interweave’s Style series. Ann lives in Boulder, Colorado, and teaches workshops across North America and beyond. Learn more at annbuddknits.com.
Read these helpful tips before you register:
- You have to pay the registration fee in advance to hold your seat. You can register online or call the store at 780-477-9276 to make a payment over the phone.
- Time Zones: the class times listed are Mountain Standard Time (MST).
- As this is an online class, you will need to have Zoom downloaded on a computer, tablet or mobile device. If using a computer, make sure you also have a webcam and microphone built in or attached.
- The class session(s) will be recorded and copies of all/segments of the class will be available for you to review for a limited time after the class session(s).
- Refunds? If you cancel 14 days (or more) prior to your workshop date, we will transfer your registration fee to a RCY gift card at no charge or offer a refund less a 10% cancellation fee. The cost of any materials provided to you will be subtracted from any refunds/transfers.
- No refunds will be made if you have to cancel less than 14 days before your class is scheduled to begin. If minimum enrolment is not met we reserve the right to cancel the class. A full refund of your registration fee will be given should this situation arise.
Questions, comments, concerns, suggestions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.