We're going online with our workshops! You can take this class from the comfort of your home, using a free videoconferencing software called Zoom. Please read the Helpful Tips section carefully before registering for this class.
What It's All About
Learn how to repair weak spots and holes in your knitted work. While we most often encounter these repair issues on socks, what you learn in this class can also be used for invisible/visible mends on other knitted projects, even commercial knits. Time permitting, we’ll also demonstrate a “surgical” technique for dealing with areas beyond repair.
This 3-hour online workshop takes place on Thursday, December 15 at 11:00 am PST, 12:00 pm MST, 1:00 pm CST, 2:00 pm EST, 3:00 pm AST.
Can I take this class?
It’s helpful to have knit in the round on small circumferences (like socks and mittens) but it’s not a requirement. At minimum, you know how to knit and how to purl. Experience with grafting stitches (e.g. Kitchener Stitch) is helpful but an alternative to grafting will also be presented.
Do I need to bring anything to class?
To participate in the practice exercises, please bring 3 swatches (minimum 10cm/4 in square) in stockinette stitch. The swatches could be tension/gauge swatches from completed projects. Gauge is not critical as long as you can clearly see your stitches. If making fresh swatches, we recommend using a smooth, solid and light-coloured yarn in a light to medium weight yarn: (sport (#2) or dk (#3) or worsted (#4). Use needles appropriate to your yarn choice and work a 10 - 12.5 cm / 4 - 5 in square in stockinette stitch. Wash and block (lay flat to dry) your swatches to make them easier to work with.
Bring small amounts of “repair” yarn in a weight that is the same or similar to your swatches, preferably in a contras:ng colour, for greater visibility. Your repair yarn should also be smooth, but darker and/or variegated colours are fine to use.
Bring double pointed needles or a short circular (40 - 60 cm / 16 - 24 in) in the same size(s) as the ones you used to create your swatches as well a set/circular that is 2 sizes smaller (2 holes down on your needle gauge).
- a blunt wool needle
- optional: a darning egg is helpful but if you don’t have one, look for something in your household that is light, cylindrical/flat, smooth and rigid that you can hold in your hand easily (e.g. a plastic tumbler, small cardboard box)
- optional: if you have them, 2 elastic bands/hair elastics
Read these helpful tips before you register:
- You have to pay the registration fee in advance to hold your seat. You can register online or call the store at 780-477-9276 to make a payment over the phone. You will receive an online class invite within 24 hours of registering.
- As this is an online class, you will need to have Zoom downloaded on a computer, tablet or mobile device. If using a computer, make sure you also have a webcam and microphone built in or attached.
- The class session(s) will be recorded and copies of all/segments of the class will be available for you to review for a limited time after the class session(s).
- Refunds? If you cancel 7 days (or more) prior to your workshop date, we will transfer your registration fee to a RCY gift card at no charge or offer a refund less a 10% cancellation fee. The cost of any materials provided to you will be subtracted from any refunds/transfers.
- No refunds will be made if you have to cancel less than 7 days before your class is scheduled to begin. If minimum enrolment is not met we reserve the right to cancel the class. A full refund of your registration fee will be given should this situation arise.
Questions, comments, concerns, suggestions? Please contact email@example.com.
Private group or individual sessions are also available. For information please email Cynthia (see above).