We're going online with our workshops! You can take this class from the comfort of your home, using a free videoconferencing software called Zoom. Please read the Helpful Tips section carefully before registering for this class.
What It's All About
If you've wanted to knit socks (and who doesn't?) this is the time to do it! Join our instructor online and learn the ins and outs of sock knitting from the cuff to the toe. In this two part class, you'll work on a sample sock with worsted weight yarn and bigger needles so that you can learn and make mistakes (and fix them) without stress. Between classes, you can cast on another sock in a larger size to practice what you've learned and create a cozy pair of "around the house" socks to keep your feet warm.
During this four-hour workshop, you'll knit a short cuff, turn a heel, pick up stitches and work the gusset. We'll end up with a toe grafting lesson, either on your sock or on a sample piece, using the Kitchener Stitch. A River City Yarns exclusive sock pattern is included in your registration fee and will be provided electronically, before class.
Can I take this class?
In order for you to be successful in this class, you need to be able to knit in the round on double pointed needles or one long circular (magic loop). Not sure? Click this link for a video explanation. We recommend taking the How to Knit in the Round workshop prior to this class if you haven't used dpns/magic loop before.
And, there is pre-work to complete. If you can manage the pre-work, you should have the skills required for the class.
Prework: For your sample sock, cast on 32 stitches on your dpns (or circs, as you prefer) and join in the round. Work approximately 4 inches of 2 x 2 ribbing (knit 2, purl 2 - repeat to end of round). Leave your work on your needles in preparation for class.
- You will need a small amount (20g) of worsted weight yarn for your sample sock and 4.0mm dpns or a 32" - 40" circular needle for magic loop;
- Approximately 200m of a worsted weight yarn (we recommend a wool blend yarn with a small amount of nylon built in for durability) if you would like to do another pair of adult socks and 4.0mm needles
Read these helpful tips before you register:
- You have to pay the registration fee in advance to hold your seat. You can register online or call the store at 780-477-9276 to make a payment over the phone. You will receive an online class invite within 24 hours of registering.
- As this is an online class, you will need to have Zoom downloaded on a computer, tablet or mobile device. If using a computer, make sure you also have a webcam and microphone built in or attached.
- The class session(s) will be recorded and copies of all/segments of the class will be available for you to review for a limited time after the class session(s).
- Refunds? If you cancel 7 days (or more) prior to your workshop date, we will transfer your registration fee to a RCY gift card at no charge or offer a refund less a 10% cancellation fee. The cost of any materials provided to you will be subtracted from any refunds/transfers.
- No refunds will be made if you have to cancel less than 7 days before your class is scheduled to begin. If minimum enrolment is not met we reserve the right to cancel the class. A full refund of your registration fee will be given should this situation arise.
Questions, comments, concerns, suggestions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Private group or individual sessions are also available. For information please email Cynthia (see above).