We've arranged to hold a class with Ann Budd on Zoom. You can take this class from the comfort of your own home and the session will be recorded, in case you have any internet connection issues.
Oh, so clever. Come over to the shadow side!
Variously called “Japanese fine knitting” and “optical knitting", “shadow knitting” is the term introduced by Vivian Høxbro to describe a technique in which purl ridges define a pattern on a two-color striped stockinette-stitch background. The right-side ridges cast a “shadow” pattern that comes and goes depending on the angle at which it is observed. When viewed straight on, the fabric resembles simple two-row stripes. When viewed at an angle, the garter ridges predominate and a different pattern is visible.
Learn this ingenious technique by knitting a swatch with a heart motif!
Our next session of this 60 minute class will take place on Wednesday, February 1, starting at 3:30 pm PST, 4:30 pm MST, 5:30 pm CST, 6:30 pm EST, 7:30 pm AST.
If you’d like to practice the techniques demonstrated, you’ll need worsted-weight yarn in two contrasting, solid colours (for best effect) and size U.S. 7 (4.5 mm) knitting needles.
You don't need to have any particular skill level to attend this one-hour seminar. Beginners will benefit from watching the demonstrations and see "how it's done" before having to tackle the topic for the first time. Experienced knitters will find options that are also new or may have specific questions that get answered. We all benefit from the depth of knowledge and the experience that Ann brings to the seminar!
Ann BuddAnn Budd is a teacher, writer, designer, and founder of Knit for Fun Retreats. She is the author of more than a dozen books, including The Knitter’s Handy Book series, Getting Started Knitting Socks, Sock Knitting Master Class, New Directions in Sock Knitting, and many of books in Interweave’s Style series. Ann lives in Boulder, Colorado, and teaches workshops across North America and beyond. Learn more at annbuddknits.com.
Read these helpful tips before you register:
- You have to pay the registration fee in advance to hold your seat. You can register online or call the store at 780-477-9276 to make a payment over the phone.
- Time Zones: the class times listed are Mountain Standard Time (MST).
- As this is an online class, you will need to have Zoom downloaded on a computer, tablet or mobile device. If using a computer, make sure you also have a webcam and microphone built in or attached.
- The class session(s) will be recorded and copies of all/segments of the class will be available for you to review for a limited time after the class session(s).
- Refunds? If you cancel 14 days (or more) prior to your workshop date, we will transfer your registration fee to a RCY gift card at no charge or offer a refund less a 10% cancellation fee. The cost of any materials provided to you will be subtracted from any refunds/transfers.
- No refunds will be made if you have to cancel less than 14 days before your class is scheduled to begin. If minimum enrolment is not met we reserve the right to cancel the class. A full refund of your registration fee will be given should this situation arise.
Questions, comments, concerns, suggestions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.