Last fall the creative folks at Hand Maiden and Fleece Artist put out a call for pattern submissions based on the theme of Nova Scotia colours and culture. The interest was strong from pattern designers with fond memories and inspirations drawn from the Nova Scotia land, culture, and its people. Come and visit with us as we hear the story behind the stories from Jana at Hand Maiden: https://youtu.be/8dNiweWRRIw.
In Nova Scotia, they often experience the awesome power and wildness of a stormy sea. This hat pattern, designed by Robyn Haynes, was inspired by a satellite view of a storm: clouds, ocean and streams of cloud, and the giant whirlpools of the North Atlantic Ocean in which warmer waters mix with icy Arctic Ocean currents, while the cabling detail references sailing ropes. North Atlantic Whirl is part of the Scotian Stories series of seven patterns, offered only with kits of Hand Maiden or Fleece Artist yarns.
This hat is knit top down in the main colour, and the cables swirling around the crown are knit in a contrast colour. The stranded colourwork is carried along the inside of the hat, providing an extra cushy layer of warmth and the folded brim will keep your ears warm when you head out to watch the winds blow.
We used Fleece Artist Lil' Sport Blue Faced Leicester (BFL) yarns for our North Atlantic Whirl hat kits, because the BFL wool has the great advantage of being both soft and strong, two qualities very much sought after in hand knitting yarn and in stranded colourwork projects like the North Atlantic Whirl hat. Note: - limited quantities available - each kit is one of a kind.
BFL Lil' Sport Yarn Info:
Skein Weight: 50 g / 1.7 oz
Skein Length: 130 m / 142 yds
Knitting Gauge: 27 - 32 sts = 10cm / 4"
Needle Size: 3.5 mm (US 4)
Yarn Fibre: 100% Blue Face Leicester
Care Instructions: Hand wash, gentle. Lay flat to dry.
Supplies included in kit:
- 3 skeins of Lil'Sport (2 skeins of main colour, 1 skein of contrast colour), put up a twisted braided to display the contrast of colours
- A PDF copy of the North Atlantic Whirl pattern (offered only with purchase of Fleece Artist or Hand Maiden yarns)(to be e-mailed separately)
Supplies needed (purchased separately):
- 1 locking Stitch marker for beginning of row
- 1 Cable needle (we recommend this one by Cocoknits)
- Scissors (We love these by Titech)
- Tapestry needle
- 4 mm/US 5 (or 3.5mm/UD 4 for tighter fit) needles for a small circumference in the round: DPNs, Flexi Flips, 16" circular, or one long circular for working magic loop. If you haven't tried the new Addi FlexiFlips Squared we think they would be great for this project.
Note about hand painted yarns: These skeins are dyed by hand and may vary in colour and/or intensity from skein to skein, even within the same dyelot. Colours viewed on different monitors may have shade and tone differences from the actual product.