Learn from a Pro (no homework involved)
Every Saturday, we're hosting one fav designer on Zoom for a 60 minute seminar on a topic of interest. Our guest will have the floor for 30 - 45 minutes to talk about the topic and we'll spend the rest of the time in discussion format. The best part of all is that you don't have to leave your home and there's no homework! Our guest will share swatches, designs, photos, and demos with you as well as answer your questions about projects and techniques. And - there are prizes!
Intarsia with Holli Yeoh: Sat, Aug 8 from 11:00 am - 12:00 pm MDT
Intarsia is a type of colourwork that allows you to change colours (as many times as you want) across a row. Holli will share tips, tricks and secrets for making your intarsia project look its best (including how to use duplicate stitch!)
Holli’s passion for knitting has spanned a lifetime, from learning to knit as a child to her fine arts degree majoring in textiles and jewellery, and an almost 20-year designing career. A Holli Yeoh pattern is sure to offer something to learn, as well as a casually elegant aesthetic. Interesting techniques and clear instructions ensure a rewarding knit with beautiful results, as featured in leading publications and her book Tempest. Holli has also designed 11 individual patterns exclusively for River City Yarns.
Holli feels strongly about fine craftsmanship, believing that while there’s more than one right way to do things, it’s important to do it right! To this end, she teaches skills that enable knitters to feel justified pride in their finished objects, while accommodating different knitting styles and preferences. Students leave her workshops with an arsenal of valuable techniques, deep understanding of the choices to be made in knitting, and new confidence. See more of Holli’s work and her teaching schedule at holliyeoh.com.
Socks from the Toe Up with Kate Atherley: Sat, Aug 15 from 11:00 am - 12:00 pm MDT
How to get just the right fit when working socks from the toe up is a common question we get asked at the shop. So we've invited Kate Atherley to give us the ins and outs, and the "ups and downs" of working a sock from the toe to the cuff and helping us get just the right fit. Kate has designed a beautiful toe-up sock for River City Yarns called the Luxe Slipper Sock and she is the author of "Custom Socks: Knit to Fit Your Feet". Join in, learn about fitting this perfect piece of knitting to your foot and get a chance to ask questions from a sock expert!
Kate Atherley is Knitty.com’s Managing Technical Editor, and a seasoned designer and teacher of all things knitterly. Experts have declared that her latest book, The Knitter’s Dictionary, belongs in every knitter’s bag. Her Beginner’s Guide to Writing Knitting Patterns is the industry's first guide specifically written to help knit designers of all levels create easy-to-follow, high quality knitting patterns; her Custom Socks and Knit Mitts! books have been hugely popular. Kate is known for her attention to detail in her patterns and her classes, and she regularly teaches at stores and events across the world, including Interweave YarnFest and Edinburgh Yarn Festival. She lives in Toronto with her husband and their challenging but adorable rescue dog, Dexter.
A Date with the Yarn Harlot (Stephanie Pearl-McPhee): Sat, Aug 22 from 11:00 am - 12:00 pm MDT
Previous Saturday Seminars:
Cables with Fiona Ellis: Sat, Aug 1 from 11:00 am - 12:00 pm MDT
Read these helpful tips before you register:
- You have to pay the registration fee in advance to hold your seat. You can register online or call the store at 780-477-9276 to make a payment over the phone.
- A Zoom calendar invitation and an email reminder with the meeting information will be sent to you the day before the seminar.
- As this is an online seminar, you will need to have Zoom downloaded on a computer, tablet or mobile device. If using a computer, make sure you also have a webcam and microphone built in or attached.
- The seminar will be recorded for internal review after the event.
- Refunds? If you cancel 7 days (or more) prior to your workshop date, we will transfer your registration fee to a RCY gift card at no charge or offer a refund less a 10% cancellation fee.
- No refunds will be made if you have to cancel less than 7 days before your class is scheduled to begin. If our guest is unable to attend or our minimum enrolment is not met and we have to cancel/postpone, a full refund of your registration fee will be offered.
Transfer? You may transfer your registration for this seminar to another participant by contacting email@example.com. Any transfers must occur 24 hours before the seminar is scheduled.
Questions, comments, concerns, suggestions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Private group or individual sessions are also available. For information please email Cynthia (see above).