We love to work with gradient dyed yarns and watching the colour fade from a strong intensity to a softer, more subtle shade. Now you can learn how to make your own gradient dyed yarn using food-safe dye and equipment found in your kitchen. We've put 200 grams/400 meters of 100% natural peruvian worsted weight wool in this kit, so you have lots to play with. When you are done dyeing, we also have some project suggestions that look great in handpainted yarn. We recommend Epic Wrist Warmers—you can make several pairs and/or one pair with extra long cuffs or Peaks and Ridges Cowl with one 100 gram ball of Epic yarn.
Our kit includes:
- two 100g balls of RCY Epic (100% virgin wool; 200 m/100 g) in Natural
- one bottle of Wilton Color Right food colour mixture(19ml/0.64oz)**
- step by step instructions for making your gradient dyed yarn
Other items you’ll need:
- microwave safe container (approximately 4 cup capacity)
- (for knitting the wrist warmers): 4.5mm double pointed needles
- (for knitting the cowl): one 16" circular 4.5 mm needle
**Please note: Each of our kits contain one bottle (assorted colours) of Wilton food colour for you to practice with. Need more dye? We found these dyes at Michaels and we have also found other brands at grocery stores. We like food safe dyes to practice dyeing wool as the colours are concentrated, a little goes a long way and clean up is easy and safe. Need more Epic for dyeing? Click here.
Have fun and enjoy making beautiful yarn at home with food safe dyes.