We've arranged to hold a class with Ann Budd on Zoom. You can take this class from the comfort of your own home and the session will be recorded, in case you have any internet connection issues.
Make it Your Own: Top-Down Raglan Sweater
This is an amazing opportunity! Ann Budd will guide you in creating a custom fit, top down (no seams) raglan sweater. You'll join Ann for six, 2-hour lessons over eight weeks (Ann has built in "rest" or "catch up" weeks). That's 12 hours of instruction! In addition, you'll have access to the class recordings to review what you missed and Ann will also provide between-class support through our Ravelry chat. Don't miss out on this workshop; it's going to up your sweater knitting game in so many ways!
What it's About
In this six-lesson, eight-week online class, you’ll learn how to use the charted instructions in The Knitter’s Handy Book of Top-Down Sweaters to knit yourself a raglan shoulder sweater with help from Ann Budd every step of the way. You’ll choose between a pullover and cardigan, and between crewneck and V-neck shaping. You’ll also choose the weight of yarn (from fingering to bulky) and the finished size (from 26” to 54” bust/chest circumference). Everyone will follow the same basic instructions, though it’s quite possible that no two participants will use the same size, gauge, or stitch pattern.
In the first lesson Ann will guide you through choosing the correct size, knitting a proper gauge swatch, and how to add a simple stitch pattern. In the following moderated knit-a-long sessions, Ann will demonstrate each of the key steps in knitting a top-down sweater (no seams!) with raglan shoulder shaping. In addition to providing tips and tricks and answering questions along the way, Ann will discuss how to make simple modifications, including adjusting sleeve length and adding waist or swing shaping to the body.
This multi-session online workshop begins on Wednesday, May 3 at 2:00 pm PST, 3:00 pm MST, 4:00 pm CST, 5:00 pm EST, 6:00 pm AST, for 2 hours. Subsequent classes take place on Wednesdays: May 10, 17, 24, June 7 and 21 at the same time each week. Note that there are no classes on May 31 and June 14.
By the end of class, you’ll be able to follow (and adapt) any of the 600 charted patterns for four armhole styles (circular yoke, raglan, set-in sleeve, and saddle shoulder) in The Knitter’s Handy Book of Top-Down Sweaters.
Worksheets for measuring gauge and following the instructions in The Knitter’s Handy Book of Top-Down Sweaters will be provided.
Skill Level: Must be comfortable with sweater construction (back, fronts, sleeves, neckband). Must be comfortable with simple multiplication and division.
Class Supplies: We'll have more information coming soon, but for now, here's a bit to get you started.
- Pattern: purchase a copy of The Knitter's Handy Book of Top-Down Sweaters. If you are unable to order your copy from River City Yarns (we appreciate your support), it is also available online through many booksellers.
- Yarn: the yarn requirements for Child Sizes (pg. 116) and for Adult Sizes (pg. 128) are available in the photo gallery (to the left). You have 5 gauges to choose from: 3 - 7 sts/inch or 12 - 28 sts/4 inches and 5 child and 10 adult chest sizes.
Ann BuddAnn Budd is a teacher, writer, designer, and founder of Knit for Fun Retreats. She is the author of more than a dozen books, including The Knitter’s Handy Book series, Getting Started Knitting Socks, Sock Knitting Master Class, New Directions in Sock Knitting, and many of books in Interweave’s Style series. Ann lives in Boulder, Colorado, and teaches workshops across North America and beyond. Learn more at annbuddknits.com.
Read these helpful tips before you register:
- You have to pay the registration fee in advance to hold your seat. You can register online or call the store at 780-477-9276 to make a payment over the phone.
- Time Zones: the class times listed are Mountain Standard Time (MST).
- As this is an online class, you will need to have Zoom downloaded on a computer, tablet or mobile device. If using a computer, make sure you also have a webcam and microphone built in or attached.
- The class session(s) will be recorded and copies of all/segments of the class will be available for you to review for a limited time after the class session(s).
- Refunds? If you cancel 14 days (or more) prior to your workshop date, we will transfer your registration fee to a RCY gift card at no charge or offer a refund less a 10% cancellation fee. The cost of any materials provided to you will be subtracted from any refunds/transfers.
- No refunds will be made if you have to cancel less than 14 days before your class is scheduled to begin. If minimum enrolment is not met we reserve the right to cancel the class. A full refund of your registration fee will be given should this situation arise.
Questions, comments, concerns, suggestions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.