We've arranged to hold a class with Lucy Neatby on Zoom. You can take this class from the comfort of your own home and the session will be recorded, in case you have any internet connection issues.
Practice "defensive knitting"!
Problem project? Things are rarely as bad as they seem. We'll learn to take stock of a new project to avoid problems and determine that all is going according to plan. Rethinking and revising. Swatches and how to read them honestly. Plan to practice ‘defensive knitting’, to keep your options open. Fundamental techniques will be practised. Laddering back, knitting downwards, Duplicate stitch (Swiss darning), Mattress stitch, and grafting (Kitchener stitch) without loose stitches. And when all else fails, tips for ripping back.
We'll be hosting this 2-hour class with Lucy on Thursday, October 19 starting at 11:00 am PDT, 12:00 pm MDT, 1:00 pm CDT, 2:00 pm EDT, 3:00 pm ADT.
Skill Level: this class is suitable for knitters at all levels.
Homework: 2 swatches required!
In a light, single-colour, smooth, wool-rich yarn in a worsted weight or heavier (avoid single-ply or Lopi yarns if possible), cast on 20 sts and work 3” of Stocking Stitch (knit one row, purl one row), end on completion of a purl row. Cut off yarn and leave the stitches on the needle. Make two identical pieces.
- Your homework swatches;
- Crochet hook;
- Blunt darning needles;
- Knitting needles in gauge size and smaller, (can be circular or straight needles);
- At least 2 short length (6") double pointed needles, smaller in size than needles used for your swatch, ideally made from a lightweight material (bamboo or wood)
- Small amounts of similar weight, brightly contrasting yarn in at least three colours.
Lucy has been an adventurous knitter since she was 17. She is originally from the UK, where she was a navigating officer in the Merchant Navy. She has lived in Nova Scotia for many, many years. The Fleece Artist in Halifax, gave her the opportunity to teach classes shortly after her arrival, and she discovered her passion for sharing the engineering marvels of knitting. She has not stopped spreading the joy of Happy Stitches since!
She is known almost as much for her taste in colour as for her friendly, detailed, technique-rich knitting patterns, and her particular fondness for double-layer knitting. She has written three books: Cool Socks Warm Feet, Cool Knitters Finish in Style and A Little Book of BIG Holes for Handknitters!, and has filmed 16 DVD titles. She has five classes on Craftsy.com: Foundations of Double Knitting, My First Socks, Next Steps in Socks, Fearless Knitting and the free Sock of Month series for 2016.
She also occasionally offers an unusual knitting camp on Big Tancook Island (where she now lives), or sometimes much further afield. Lucy enjoys trying to dispel the myth that only sedentary, quiet people in rocking chairs knit: she loves cycling, downhill skiing, sailing, quilting, colourful home improvement and narrow-boating on the historic UK canal system. You can find Lucy on Ravelry, Instagram, and on her Lucyknit YouTube channel. Her patterns, e-books and virtual DVDs are now available from Little Barn Studio.
Read these helpful tips before you register:
- You have to pay the registration fee in advance to hold your seat. You can register online or call the Yarniversity Registrar at 780-477-9276 to make a payment over the phone.
- Time Zones: the class times listed are Mountain Standard Time (MST).
- As this is an online class, you will need to have Zoom downloaded on a computer, tablet or mobile device.
- The class session(s) will be recorded and copies of all/segments of the class will be available for you to review for a limited time after the class session(s).
- Refunds? If you cancel 14 days (or more) prior to your workshop date, we will transfer your registration fee to a RCY gift card at no charge or offer a refund less a 10% cancellation fee. The cost of any materials provided to you will be subtracted from any refunds/transfers.
- No refunds will be made if you have to cancel less than 14 days before your class is scheduled to begin. If minimum enrolment is not met we reserve the right to cancel the class. A full refund of your registration fee will be given should this situation arise.
Questions, comments, concerns, suggestions? Please contact email@example.com.