The Modern Wrapper walks the line between cozy and chic, snuggly and sleek; an oversized piece designed with thoughtful details to fit well and stay on the shoulders in a softly draping fabric to flatter every body. Wear it around the house, or dress it up a little for town. Churchmouse recommends a strand of tweedy wool or smooth alpaca-blend fingering-weight yarn with lace-weight mohair silk yarn, on nice big needles for luxurious drape and a quick knit. We've paired some of our favourite fine wools and silk mohairs to create kits in timeless shades. Treat yourself to a Modern Wrapper kit!
FINISHED SIZE - One Size. Dimensions after blocking: Approx. 37” / 94 cm back width at underarm (74” / 188cm body circumference); 28” / 71cm length from top of shoulder to hem; 8” / 20cm sleeve length; 9½“ / 24cm cuff circumference.
YARN : 1350 yds / 1234m of an equivalent fingering-weight wool or alpaca yarn and a lace-weight mohair silk blend yarn, held together.
GAUGE: 15 stitches and 22 rows = 10 cm in stockinette stitch with yarns held together, after blocking
The Modern Wrapper Kit includes:
a minimum of 1350 yds / 1234m of two yarns - one fingering-weight wool and one lace-weight mohair silk blend yarn, held together and the pattern to guide you thru step by step.
- 5 skeins of Brooklyn Tweed Loft (100% wool; 50g, 275 yds/251m) and 6 balls of Rowan Kidsilk Haze (70%super kid mohair; 30% silk. 25g, 210m/229 yds) or 4 Balls of Lang Lace (58% superkid mohair, 42% silk, 25g, 310 m / 339 yds) - colour coordinated and held together
- Modern Wrapper Pattern (hard copy printed on durable stock) contains step by step instructions and photographs to help you thru the knitting and construction of this “one size to flatter every body” wrapper. Also contains a simple but effective short row technique you'll want to use over and over again!
You will also need:
- US 10 (6mm) needles, or size to obtain gauge;
- US 9 (5.5mm), or one size smaller than gauge size;
- spare gauge needle for three-needle bind off;
- 4 spare circular needles and 2 double point needles (same size or smaller than gauge size) with point protectors or rubber bands, to use as stitch holders;
- 2 ring markers and 40 locking stitch markers
- darning needle to finish.