On the longest day of the year, our dear friend Ann Budd, knits to raise awareness (and hopefully a whole lot of funds) for the Alzheimer’s Association. Each year the Alzheimer’s Association challenges individuals to help fight the disease by raising funds and awareness for care, support, and research on the day with the most light. This year is no exception!
On Sunday, June 20th, Ann will knit from sunrise (somewhere around 5:00 am) to sunset (somewhere around 9:00 pm) Mountain Daylight Time on a project she designed specifically for this event. We're joining Ann, along with three other fabulous yarn shops, to turn this day into a fun knit-a-long (KAL). We want you to come along too.
What we'll be working on for the KAL:
Ann has designed a brand new sock pattern called Fading Memories Socks. When you purchase this pattern, Ann will donate $5 USD to Alzheimer's research.
"The cable-and-eyelet pattern in my Fading Memories Socks represents the twists and turns in the memories of those afflicted with Alzheimer's..."
These purchases also raise money for this initiative:
- At River City Yarns, we've selected several yarns that make great socks and coordinate with the Alzheimer's Longest Day logo. We'll be donating $5 CAN for every skein sold: Manos Alegria: 2198 Estancia, 2610 Lavender, 2620 Thistle, 2638 Taffeta, 9034 Sari, 21481 Mauve, or Cascade Yarns Heritage: 5614 Lilac or 5650 Lavender or Estelle Alpaca Merino Fine 407 Bright Lilac.
- The yarn Ann used for her socks is called Fading Shadows gradient kit of 5 mini skeins specially dyed by Greenwood Fiberworks. The gradient kits are available through Longmont Yarn Shoppe of Longmont, Colorado and they'll be donating $10 USD for every gradient kit sold.
- River City Yarns is also donating $5 CAN for every registration in these upcoming classes that Ann is teaching: Cast-On Techniques (June 22), 3 Types of Provisional Cast-Ons (June 26) and Bind-Off Techniques (June 29). Help us, help Ann, reach her goal and learn something new at the same time!
Join us! It's free to participate:
If you'd like to Knit-A-Long with Ann on the Longest Day, you can! To make this day more interactive, four Local (online) Yarn Shops have joined in to host a virtual zoom session with Ann. You can check in, give Ann a "way to go, thumbs up" emoji and hang out for an hour of chat and encouragement. All four sessions are free and will take place on Zoom. Please click on the links below to register for each session. And yes, there will be prizes and special offers. Perhaps a very special prize draw for those who join in all four KAL sessions.
- Start your Longest Day KAL at Four Purls of Winter Haven, Florida. This zoom session begins at 7:00 am PT, 8:00 am MT, 9:00 am CT, 10:00 am ET, 11:00 am AT.
- Keep knitting (or take a nap) and join River City Yarns of Edmonton, Alberta for a mid-day session starting at 11:00 am PT, 12:00 pm MT, 1:00 pm CT, 2:00 pm ET, 3:00 pm AT.
- And after a short break, join in with the Bazaar Girls Yarn Shop of Port Townsend, Washington. This session starts at 1:00 pm PT, 2:00 pm MT, 3:00 pm CT, 4:00 pm ET, 5:00 pm AT. Click here for the login codes.
- We'll finish up our cross-country KAL with a visit at Longmont Yarn Shoppe of Longmont, Colorado. This session starts at 3:00 pm PT, 4:00 pm MT, 5:00 pm CT, 6:00 pm ET, 7:00 pm AT.
And in any event, please visit Ann's fundraiser page and make a donation. Thank you.