Online workshops are the best! You can take this class from the comfort of your home, using a free videoconferencing software called Zoom. Please read the Helpful Tips section carefully before registering for this class.
What It's All About
Learn how to crochet for complete beginners. No experience required! In this class, you will learn how to work the basic types of crochet stitches. In three one-hour classes, you’ll learn the chain stitch, single crochet, and double crochet. We’ll show you how to read a pattern, how to work the stitches, and how to use locking stitch markers to keep your edges straight. You bring a ball (or two) of cotton yarn and a hook, and we’ll show you how to turn your yarn into three different washcloths, each with a different type of stitch. (And don’t worry if you’re left-handed, you can still crochet - we’ll show you how!) The online classes will be recorded for you to review later and we also provide a series of helpful video tutorials for extra assistance between classes.
This class will take place online. There are three sessions to attend and each session will be 60 minutes, over three consecutive weeks. Want to join us? Add this class to your cart, then consult the materials list below to have everything you need before class starts.
Can I take this class?
This class is intended for absolute beginners (perhaps you've never held a crochet hook before?) and will also benefit self-taught crocheters who want to understand the fundamentals better. One registration per participant is required with the exception of younger participants or anyone with special needs who may require assistance from another household member. Please contact email@example.com if you have questions or concerns.
You'll need these materials for class:
Resource Book: purchase and download the pdf version of the Churchmouse Classroom Learn to Crochet Companion booklet. If you prefer to purchase a print copy, we have them in stock. We will refer to this booklet throughout the class and consider it to be an essential resource.
Pattern: your project for this class is a series of four squares (dishcloths) that you will use to practice each of the basic stitch patterns. The fourth square is a variation and the pattern instructions are included in a handout.
Yarn: you'll need approximately 100g of a worsted/medium weight cotton yarn. We recommend: 2 balls of Universal Yarns Clean Cotton (85% recycled cotton, 15% recycled polyester) or 2 balls of Rowan Handknit Cotton or 1 skein of Berroco Pima 100. Note: you will need to wind the Berroco Pima 100 into a ball before class. Here's a "how to at home" link.
Read these helpful tips before you register:
- You have to pay the registration fee in advance to hold your seat. You can register online or call the store at 780-477-9276 to make a payment over the phone. You will receive an online class invite within 24 hours of registering.
- As this is an online class, you will need to have Zoom downloaded on a computer, tablet or mobile device. If using a computer, make sure you also have a webcam and microphone built in or attached.
- The class session(s) will be recorded and copies of all/segments of the class will be available for you to review for a limited time after the class session(s).
- Refunds? If you cancel 7 days (or more) prior to your workshop date, we will transfer your registration fee to a RCY gift card at no charge or offer a refund less a 10% cancellation fee. The cost of any materials provided as part of the registration fee will be subtracted from any refunds/transfers.
- No refunds will be made if you have to cancel less than 7 days before your class is scheduled to begin. If minimum enrolment is not met we reserve the right to cancel the class. A full refund of your registration fee will be given should this situation arise.
Questions, comments, concerns, suggestions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Private group or individual sessions are also available. For information please email Cynthia (see above).