We're going online with our workshops! You can take this class from the comfort of your home, using a free videoconferencing software called Zoom. Please read the Helpful Tips section carefully before registering for this class.
What It's All About
Learn how to construct cables while making a beautiful, winter-warm hat. Once you get the hang of it, we predict you’ll be cabling like crazy! We'll teach you how to use a cable chart and how to make cable stitches. And, for those looking for an extra challenge, we'll also show you how to cable without a cable needle! This three hour online workshop takes place over two weeks and uses a bulky knit pattern from Stephanie Pearl McPhee:An Unoriginal Hat by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. Once you've finished your first hat, we predict you'll go on to make more! Thank you to Wendi / "dyedtoknit" on Ravelry for letting us use her hat project photo to inspire you!
Can I take this class?
Participants should already know how to knit in the round on DPNs (although you can make your hat on magic loop or 2 circulars if that's your preference). We'll show you how to use a cable chart and how to make cable stitches. And, for those looking for an extra challenge, we'll also show you how to cable without a cable needle!
Using your yarn and needles, (see below): cast on 56 stitches, and distribute evenly. If using dpns, put 14 stitches on 4 needles, leave 5th needle to knit with); if using a circular, leave all the stitches on the needle.
- 100g/80m of a super bulky yarn (we recommend Rowan Big Wool);
- 8.0mm needles for knitting a small circumference (double pointed needles, one long circular for magic loop, two circulars). We like the Prym Ergo DPNs! You can also start with a 16” circular needle and then transition to dpns when you begin to decrease.
- 2 - 4 large stitch markers (if using either of the circular options above). One of the stitch markers should be a different colour than the rest. All the stitch markers need to fit onto your 8.0mm needle tip.
- A jumbo cable needle (or a spare, wooden dpn in the range of 5.0 - 8.0mm). We love this bamboo set from Cocoknits, but we also have a less expensive option.
- Download a copy of Stephanie’s pattern here: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/an-unoriginal-hat (look for the pdf version).
Read these helpful tips before you register:
- You have to pay the registration fee in advance to hold your seat. You can register online or call the store at 780-477-9276 to make a payment over the phone. You will receive an online class invite within 24 hours of registering.
- As this is an online class, you will need to have Zoom downloaded on a computer, tablet or mobile device. If using a computer, make sure you also have a webcam and microphone built in or attached.
- The class session(s) will be recorded and copies of all/segments of the class will be available for you to review for a limited time after the class session(s).
- Refunds? If you cancel 7 days (or more) prior to your workshop date, we will transfer your registration fee to a RCY gift card at no charge or offer a refund less a 10% cancellation fee. The cost of any materials provided to you will be subtracted from any refunds/transfers.
- No refunds will be made if you have to cancel less than 7 days before your class is scheduled to begin. If minimum enrolment is not met we reserve the right to cancel the class. A full refund of your registration fee will be given should this situation arise.
Questions, comments, concerns, suggestions? Please contact email@example.com.
Private group or individual sessions are also available. For information please email Cynthia (see above).