We're going online with our workshops! You can take this class from the comfort of your home, using a free videoconferencing software called Zoom. Please read the Helpful Tips section carefully before registering for this class.
What it's All About
Fiona Ellis is a Canadian designer so well known for her cable patterns that we've nicknamed her "the Cable Girl". She's also a fabulous instructor. We knew she'd be the perfect person to teach an introduction to cable knitting class for us. If you've been a little leery of trying cables, we're here to tell you that after this class, you'll be wanting to add your own "twist" to all kinds of projects. In this two hour intro class, you'll be making a cabled boot topper, perfect for keeping your calves warm and the snow out of your boots. The pattern for Fiona's "Top Shelf Toppers" is included in your registration fee.
In this online class, Fiona will show you how to work cable crosses, so that you can add twists and turns to your stitches using a cable needle. Fiona will also talk to you about how to read the stitches and understand the written instructions provided in the project pattern. She will also introduce chart reading for students who prefer that style. You’ll be able to practice in real time and ask questions along the way. You'll gain understanding and the confidence to add cables to plain projects. We'll start with an adult medium boot topper that has a second purpose as a wrist warmer and even a coffee cozy. No class project goes unused!
Skill level: participants should be comfortable knitting in the round and familiar with knit and purl stitches.
Materials Required: approximately 80yds / 73m of RCY Epic (100% wool) or a worsted (medium) weight wool or wool blend in a light colour, 4.5mm needles for working in the round: DPNs, 2 circulars or 1 long circular as you prefer, stitch markers, cable needle.
Cast on 56 sts. Join in the round (taking care not to twist) and mark the beginning of the round.
Rnd 1: *P2, k4, [p2, k2] twice. Repeat from * 4 times across round.
Rep Rnd 1 until Boot Topper measures 4in / 10cm from beginning.
Knit 1 rnd, purl 1 rnd (forms garter ridge). Do not bind off. Leave stitches on needles for class.
Fiona Ellis is a graduate of DeMontfort University (England) with a degree in fashion knitwear design. Her designs are available in leading magazine publications including on-line at Twist Collective. She is the author of Inspired Cable Knits, Knitspiration Journal and Inspired Fair Isle Knits. You can find out what she is currently doing at fionaellisonline.com—check out her blog post on the 9th of each month. Why take a class with Fiona? She's knowledgeable and talented but even more important, she's patient and kind. You'll learn so much from Fiona (just like Barb and Cynthia)!
Read these helpful tips before you register:
- You have to pay the registration fee in advance to hold your seat. You can register online or call the store at 780-477-9276 to make a payment over the phone.
- As this is an online class, you will need to have Zoom downloaded on a computer, tablet or mobile device. If using a computer, make sure you also have a webcam and microphone built in or attached.
- The class session(s) will be recorded and copies of all/segments of the class will be available for you to review for a limited time after the class session(s).
- Refunds? If you cancel 14 days (or more) prior to your workshop date, we will transfer your registration fee to a RCY gift card at no charge or offer a refund less a 10% cancellation fee. The cost of any materials provided to you will be subtracted from any refunds/transfers.
- No refunds will be made if you have to cancel less than 14 days before your class is scheduled to begin. If minimum enrolment is not met we reserve the right to cancel the class. A full refund of your registration fee will be given should this situation arise.
Questions, comments, concerns, suggestions? Please contact email@example.com.