Online workshops are the best! You can take this class from the comfort of your home, using a free videoconferencing software called Zoom. Please read the Helpful Tips section carefully before registering for this class.
What It's All About
Take your knitting to the next level. Learn how to combine two colours across a row of knitting using a technique called stranded colourwork (also referred to as "Fair Isle" knitting). We'll teach you how to work with two colours of yarn at the same time, holding one in each hand or both in the same hand. We'll coach you on the fine points of stranded colourwork: how to carry "floats", how to tension the yarn to avoid puckers, how to handle mistakes and how to read a colourwork chart. If you haven't knit in the round before, we'll show you how to get your work "joined up" we'll finish off with advice on blocking your finished work.
This class will take place online. There are two sessions to attend and each session will be 90 minutes, over two consecutive weeks. Want to join us? Add this class to your cart, then consult the materials list below to have everything you need before class starts.
There is some preparatory (pre) work that will help you be ready for the first class. A downloadable handout with the pre-work assignment will be available with your online registration.
Can I take this class?
This class is intended for advanced beginners. You can knit and purl with confidence and have experience working decrease stitches. Experience knitting in the round is helpful but not required. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or concerns.
You'll need these materials for class:
Pattern: please purchase a digital copy of Jennifer Peck’s Sisterhood Set. This pattern includes a cowl and matching hat ($8.00 CAN) and is the proceeds from sales of the pattern benefit Sisters United, a non-profit organization that raises funds for, brings awareness of the unique issues of, and empowers and heals Indigenous women, children and communities. We'll be working on the cowl pattern in this workshop.
Yarn: Two different colours of a worsted weight wool. We recommend 100% non-superwash wool for this project in two colours that have high contrast to each other. We used Manos Maxima for our sample in 2500 Black and 9111 Meltaway Mints. You’ll need about 125 yards for the main colour and 70 yards for the contrast colour.
Note: you will need to wind Manos Maxima into a ball before class. Here's a "how to at home" link.
Needles: 4.5mm circular knitting needles (60cm/24in length). Here's a link to our Addi circulars.
Read these helpful tips before you register:
- You have to pay the registration fee in advance to hold your seat. You can register online or call the store at 780-477-9276 to make a payment over the phone. You will receive an online class invite within 24 hours of registering.
- As this is an online class, you will need to have Zoom downloaded on a computer, tablet or mobile device. If using a computer, make sure you also have a webcam and microphone built in or attached.
- The class session(s) will be recorded and copies of all/segments of the class will be available for you to review for a limited time after the class session(s).
- Refunds? If you cancel 7 days (or more) prior to your workshop date, we will transfer your registration fee to a RCY gift card at no charge or offer a refund less a 10% cancellation fee. The cost of any materials provided as part of the registration fee will be subtracted from any refunds/transfers.
- No refunds will be made if you have to cancel less than 7 days before your class is scheduled to begin. If minimum enrolment is not met we reserve the right to cancel the class. A full refund of your registration fee will be given should this situation arise.
Questions, comments, concerns, suggestions? Please contact email@example.com.
Private group or individual sessions are also available. For information please email Cynthia (see above).