Online classes are the best! Take this class from the comfort of your home, on Zoom.
Your First Knitted Sweater!
What it's About: Using a baby cardigan pattern that Holli has designed specifically for this class, you'll learn the basics on sweater construction, shaping, swatching and lots of other helpful tips. Come to class with your first gauge swatch already knit and you'll be well on your way to completing your first sweater. By the end of the class you'll have the skills to tackle a full-sized sweater for yourself! This online workshop is presented in four sessions, each 1.5 hours long, over four weeks. Worried about missing a class? See the "helpful tip" note below about class recordings.
The next session of this class takes place on Thursdays, September 14, 21, 28 & October 5 starting at 3:30 pm PDT, 4:30 pm MDT, 5:30 pm CDT, 6:30 pm EDT, 7:30 pm ADT. Each session is 90 minutes long and will be recorded.
Here at River City Yarns we highly recommend working a baby size cardigan as your learning project for sweaters, even if you don't have a baby (right now) to give it to. (We like to donate our baby sweaters to a charity or not-for-profit society like Basically Babies.) Working a miniature version is a great way to learn and you won't struggle to complete the homework between sessions. Trust us!
Skill Level: Suitable for advanced beginners and beyond.
- Gauge swatch(es) - (prework/homework instructions for swatches will be sent to you post-registration)
- 300m (330 yd) worsted weight yarn in a light to medium colour. You can bring more than one colour if you want to make stripes or contrast edging and cuffs;
- 3.75 mm (US 5) knitting needle or size to obtain gauge and 3.5 mm (US 4) or one size smaller than needle used to obtain gauge;
- locking stitch markers
- Stitch holders or scrap yarn
- 5 buttons ¾" (19 mm)
- basic knitter’s tool kit (scissors, darning needle, measuring tape)
Holli’s passion for knitting has spanned a lifetime, from learning to knit as a child to her fine arts degree majoring in textiles and jewellery, and a solid 18 years of design and teaching experience. Her work has appeared in industry leading publications including Vogue Knitting, Interweave Press, Amirisu and Twist Collective, as well as in her Ravelry shop and in her book Tempest, published in collaboration with Sweet Georgia Yarns. Check out Holli's designs for River City Yarns, including The Rutherford and The Sweater, two great examples of projects using sweater techniques.
Why Learn from Holli?
Holli feels strongly about fine craftsmanship, believing that while there’s more than one right way to do things, it’s important to do it right! To this end, she teaches skills that enable knitters to feel justified pride in their finished objects, while accommodating different knitting styles and preferences. Students leave her workshops with an arsenal of valuable techniques, deep understanding of the choices to be made in knitting, and new confidence. Her courses are well polished, solidly prepared and cater to students at every level.
Read these helpful tips before you register:
- You have to pay the registration fee in advance to hold your seat. You can register online or call the store at 780-477-9276 to make a payment over the phone.
- As this is an online class, you will need to have Zoom downloaded on a computer, tablet or mobile device. If using a computer, make sure you also have a webcam and microphone built in or attached.
- The class session(s) will be recorded and copies of all/segments of the class will be available for you to review for a limited time after the class session(s).
- Refunds? If you cancel 14 days (or more) prior to your workshop date, we will transfer your registration fee to a RCY gift card at no charge or offer a refund less a 10% cancellation fee. The cost of any materials provided to you will be subtracted from any refunds/transfers.
- No refunds will be made if you have to cancel less than 14 days before your class is scheduled to begin. If minimum enrolment is not met we reserve the right to cancel the class. A full refund of your registration fee will be given should this situation arise.
Questions, comments, concerns, suggestions? Please contact email@example.com.
Photography by Holli Yeoh