The Gridiron Hat and (fingerless) Mitt kit will give you the yarn and pattern to create this clever grid pattern for both the hat and mitts. Not every yarn will work in this design by Kate Atherley. We've teamed it up with our own Touchdown yarn. Dyed locally by Ancient Arts, Touchdown contains a "playbook" recipe to make the vertical stripes score in this design. The pattern includes 5 hat sizes (toddler to large adult) and 7 hand sizes (child to large adult).
- 1 generous skein of River City Yarns Touchdown ( 557 yds / 510 m per 5oz / 150g skein; 80% superwash wool, 20% nylon); and
- 1 print copy of Gridiron Hat & Mitts by Kate Atherley
Supplies needed (purchased separately):
- (Hat) 2.75mm (US 2) for working flat
- (Hat) 2.5mm (US 1.5) circular needles, 16" / 40 cm length
- (Hat) 2.5mm (US 1.5) knitting needles for small circumference in the round: double pointed needles, 1 long circular or 2 short circulars
- (Mitts) 2.75mm (US 2) knitting needles for small circumference in the round: double pointed needles, 1 long circular or 2 short circulars
- (Mitts) waste yarn for thumb stitches
- (Both) Tapestry Needle
About Gridiron Hat & (fingerless) Mitts:
Kate does it again! After kicking off our Touchdown collection with Gridiron Socks, she takes an extra point with this hat and mitten combo. With sizing for your entire team or family, you can wear your colours where they’re most visible. You'll love the unusual construction of this slouchy hat (worked primarily flat) and the gridiron design that takes full advantage of this artfully dyed yarn. The fingerless mitts keep your hands warm and your fingers fumble-free.
We used River City Yarns Touchdown; 557 yds / 510 m per 5oz / 150g skein; 80% superwash wool, 20% nylon. Touchdown has been dyed to produce a colour sequencing that works well with the stitch pattern. Yarn substitutions may not give the desired effect. The generous (150g) skein means you can make more than one hat, or a hat and a pair of fingerless gloves!