We call our Flash Mob 2021 collection Human+Nature—it captures seasonal colours into beautiful skeins of yarn. This collection will bring out our human emotions, stimulate our senses, tickle our creative minds, and they will awaken our long forgotten memories.
July's Flash Mob is called Calm. NOTE: Want more Oasis? We've added Edge of Night and Indus Valley, which look great with Sunset.
Sandy beaches can be hot on bare feet when the sun is high. But when the sun starts to melt into the horizon, you can’t wait to take a nice walk along the shore. The sky is soaked with purples, pinks, and oranges. And then when the navy blue takes over, the sky and the sea look mirrored, separated only by a strip of orange—the last glimpse of the sun.
Calm is dyed by Ancient Arts Yarns on their Oasis base and they created two beautiful colourways: Sunset and Nightfall. Sold by the skein, you can choose your favourite color(s) and quantities.
Oasis is a luxury yarn made from premium Merino wool and Baby Camel down. This yarn has been treated with the Basolan process which uses an organic chlorine donating compound to etch the fibre providing shrink-resistance, reducing pilling, and enhancing the lustre and soft handle of the yarn.
This yarn is made using a ring-spun 8-ply structure that is perfect for this fine fibre blend, producing a longer wearing yarn that is gorgeously soft and bouncy with great stitch definition and drape. The natural colour of the Camel Down makes for deep rich earthy tones when hand dyed.
Each order of Calm comes with a beautiful custom leather patch made by Brickbubble, as supplies last.
Ball Weight: 100 g / 3.5 oz
Ball Length: 320 m / 350 yds
Knitting Gauge: 24 - 26 sts / 4 in (10 cm)
Needle Size: 3.25 - 3.75 mm (US 3-5)
Yarn Fibre: 80% Extra Fine Merino, 20% Baby Camel down
Care Instructions: Hand Wash cold. Lay flat to dry.
Pattern Suggestion: One of our favourite patterns is the Easy Folded Poncho (EFP) by Churchmouse Yarns (available as a pdf download on ravelry). Using Oasis created a garment with drape and warmth, and the way it is spun made us feel good about recommending it for a garment that will be worn often and through all seasons.
Here are Barb's pattern modifications using Oasis (Sport Weight):
- Barb used 4 skeins of Oasis for her EFP: 3 skeins for the main colour, and 1 skein for the contrasting stripe accent. (She had approx 1/2 skein left over of each colour, and plans to make the cowl as a separate piece).
- Cast on 130 stitches provisionally, using a 3.25mm needle.
- After Row 20 (or at about 3 inches), with RS facing she began the 10 Row Stripe Pattern: join in the Contrast Colour (CC) and work 10 rows CC, work 10 rows MC, work 10 rows CC, work 10 rows MC, work 10 rows CC. Carry the alternate yarn up the right hand side of the work. After three stripes of the CC, cut CC yarn leaving a long enough tail to weave in.
- Working the pattern, she then continued in main colour until length measured approx 39 inches from provisional cast on. At that point, she repeated the 10 Row Stripe Pattern, alternating colours again, and finished with 20 rows of Main colour.
- Finishing - following the instructions in pattern, the shoulder seam was mattress stitched, matching up the striped rows so they form a continuous line up and over the shoulder.
- Gauge—24 sts to 4 inches/10 cm on a 3.25 mm needle
- Finished Measurements - 22 x 48 inches approximately (before seaming)
Note about hand painted yarns: These skeins are dyed by hand and may vary in colour and/or intensity from skein to skein, even within the same dye lot. Colours viewed on different monitors may have shade and tone differences from the actual product.