We're going online with our workshops! You can take this class from the comfort of your home, using a free videoconferencing software called Zoom. Please read the Helpful Tips section carefully before registering for this class.
What it's All About
Winter is coming! It’s never too early in the year to prep for the cold weather. We’ll show you how to create a custom mitten – regular or fingerless! - for any hand, and any yarn. Use up your stash and keep your friends and family warm. Along the way we’ll share tips for making mittens as warm as possible – from yarn choice to lining strategies, and help you deal with problem areas like holey thumbs.
There is no pre-work for this class! If you have questions that you'd like answered (with regard to making a great mitten), please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Kate will talk to you about all the important considerations (including formulas) that you need to make custom mittens and she will share a master pattern with you. You will leave this class with the motivation and knowledge to make mittens at any gauge.
- Tape measure
- Pen and paper
- Calculator (or calculator app)
- Optional: make a swatch (in the round) of the yarn you wish to use for your mittens. This will be a helpful example for you in applying the formulas for your custom mittens.
Intermediate – knitters should ideally have made a pair of mittens or two.
Kate Atherley is Knitty.com’s Managing Technical Editor, and a seasoned designer and teacher of all things knitterly. Experts have declared that her latest book, The Knitter’s Dictionary, belongs in every knitter’s bag. Her Beginner’s Guide to Writing Knitting Patterns is the industry's first guide specifically written to help knit designers of all levels create easy-to-follow, high quality knitting patterns; her Custom Socks and Knit Mitts! books have been hugely popular. Kate is known for her attention to detail in her patterns and her classes, and she regularly teaches at stores and events across the world, including Interweave YarnFest and Edinburgh Yarn Festival. She lives in Toronto with her husband and their challenging but adorable rescue dog, Dexter.
Read these helpful tips before you register:
- You have to pay the registration fee in advance to hold your seat. You can register online or call the store at 780-477-9276 to make a payment over the phone.
- Time Zones: the class times listed are Mountain Daylight Time (MDT).
- As this is an online class, you will need to have Zoom downloaded on a computer, tablet or mobile device. If using a computer, make sure you also have a webcam and microphone built in or attached.
- The class session(s) will be recorded and copies of all/segments of the class will be available for you to review for a limited time after the class session(s).
- Refunds? If you cancel 14 days (or more) prior to your workshop date, we will transfer your registration fee to a RCY gift card at no charge or offer a refund less a 10% cancellation fee. The cost of any materials provided to you will be subtracted from any refunds/transfers.
- No refunds will be made if you have to cancel less than 14 days before your class is scheduled to begin. If minimum enrolment is not met we reserve the right to cancel the class. A full refund of your registration fee will be given should this situation arise.
Questions, comments, concerns, suggestions? Please contact email@example.com.