We're going online with our workshops! You can take this class from the comfort of your home, using a free videoconferencing software called Zoom. Please read the Helpful Tips section carefully before registering for this class.
What It's All About
We picked this pattern because we loved the look of this spacious market bag! But we also thought it would be a great project to help you master crochet skills such as decreasing, picking up stitches, blocking, and keeping your edges straight. This cleverly constructed cotton tote bag is both lightweight and expandable. You're definitely going to want to make more than one!
This class will take place online. There are three sessions to attend and each session will be 90 minutes, over four consecutive weeks. We'll take one "break week" so that you have plenty of time to complete the work. Want to join us? Add this class to your cart, then consult the materials list below to have everything you need before class starts.
Can I take this class?
This project is great for advanced beginner or intermediate crocheters. You will get more out of these sessions if you are able to count your stitches and read patterns (but want to get better) and can successfully work the following crochet stitches on your own: chain, single crochet, double crochet. You have completed a few crochet projects on your own, following a pattern.
Over three weeks, your instructor will show you how to follow the pattern instructions, and guide you through: body construction, blocking, adding a border and creating straps. You will use/learn: chain stitches, single crochet, treble crochet, and decrease stitches. You will also learn tips for keeping your edges straight, and how to adjust the size of your finished bag.
You'll need these materials for class:
Pattern: we're using the "French Market Bag" pattern by Alexandra Tavel aka Two of Wands. You can purchase an ad-free downloadable pattern (highly recommended) or use the free version on Alexandra's website. You'll need to refer to it in the first class.
Yarn: approximately 510m of a worsted weight yarn in a plant fibre such as cotton or linen. We recommend: (a) for a smaller, lighter (shopping) bag, we recommend two balls of BC Garn Lino (100% linen) or the colourful Berroco Medina OR (b) for a larger, roomier (beach) bag, buy two skeins of Berroco Pima 100 (100% cotton) or two balls of Juniper Moon Farms Zooey (60% cotton, 40% linen).
Read these helpful tips before you register:
- You have to pay the registration fee in advance to hold your seat. You can register online or call the store at 780-477-9276 to make a payment over the phone.
- As this is an online class, you will need to have Zoom downloaded on a computer, tablet or mobile device. If using a computer, make sure you also have a webcam and microphone built in or attached.
- The class session(s) will be recorded and copies of all/segments of the class will be available for you to review for a limited time after the class session(s).
- Refunds? If you cancel 7 days (or more) prior to your workshop date, we will transfer your registration fee to a RCY gift card at no charge or offer a refund less a 10% cancellation fee. The cost of any materials provided to you will be subtracted from any refunds/transfers.
- No refunds will be made if you have to cancel less than 7 days before your class is scheduled to begin. If minimum enrolment is not met we reserve the right to cancel the class. A full refund of your registration fee will be given should this situation arise.
Questions, comments, concerns, suggestions? Please contact email@example.com.
Private group or individual sessions are also available. For information please email Cynthia (see above).