For those who love the look of Fair Isle knitting, we are excited to offer the Colorwork Cap Kit, a fun project kit that features a new pattern design from Churchmouse Yarns & Teas plus four colours of Rowan Felted Tweed all wrapped up in a roomy canvas tote bag. The Colorwork Cap kit will give you a delicious taste of stranded colourwork, while making a warm and colourful woolen cap, that is fun and engaging yet simple enough for first time stranders!
Pattern Design: Churchmouse has created a four-color motif, which—as is traditional—uses only two colors per row. Then, they came up with three different color palettes and six different charts (two charts for each palette). And then, they threw in one more ‘plain’ chart, so that you can make up your own colorway!
Also included in this pattern are tips on swatching in the round and instructions for seaming, blocking, and finishing your piece. As teachers, we love the extra support given in the Churchmouse patterns. It’s like sitting down with your knitting instructor by your side.
Yarn: This Colorwork Cap shines in a finer DK-weight, warm and woolly yarn with a great color palette, so we gave a big “thumbs up” when we saw that Churchmouse picked their perennial favourite yarn, Rowan Felted Tweed.
Finished size: Approx. 20”/51cm around x 10”/25.5cm tall, after blocking. Pattern also includes instructions on how to make the hat larger (or smaller).
Gauge: Approx. 24 sts/28 rounds = 4"/10cm in stockinette stitch in the round and in colorwork in the round, after blocking.
Each Kit Includes:
- 4 balls of Rowan Felted Tweed (191 yds/175m each): 1 skein each in Colors A, B, C, D. This is enough for three hats! We have kitted the colour combos used in Colorwork Cap pattern, Shell, Sea and Heather, as well as our own Alberta inspired combos, Big Sky, Rocky Mountain and The Prairies.
- The 4-page Colourwork Cap pattern, printed on classic cardstock paper.
- A River City Yarns Project Tote: this big canvas tote is what we use everyday in place of paper or plastic bags.
You will also need:
NEEDLES (an assortment of sizes and lengths) & NOTIONS
- US 5 (3.75mm) 16”/40cm circular needle and double-point needles, or size to obtain gauge in plain stockinette stitch.
- US 6 (4mm) 16”/40cm circular needle, or one size large than plain stockinette gauge needle, or size to obtain gauge in colorwork.
- US 3 (3.25mm) 16”/40cm circular needle for ribbing, or two sizes smaller than plain stockinette gauge needle.
- 4 stitch markers plus 1 locking marker in a different color for beginning of round. Darning needle to finish.