We're going online with our workshops! You can take this class from the comfort of your home, using a free videoconferencing software called Zoom. Please read the Helpful Tips section carefully before registering for this class.
What it's All About
Celtic cables have an intricate look but they do in fact follow a few basic principles. In this class Fiona will review basic cables and then explain the special techniques used in Celtic cables. She will also demonstrate how to work these techniques. You will then have time to practise yourself with Fiona on hand for your questions. Charts and written instructions will be provided, but if you are adventurous you will be guided as you try your hand at devising your own variation. In the later sessions instructions for turning this sample into cuff for a mitten will be given. You will look at the anatomy of a mitten and how to make modifications for your gauge and fit requirements. Join us to create your customized Celtic Cable mitten!
- a ball of light coloured yarn in a medium weight (we recommend RCY Epic or El Rio);
- a pair of needles suitable for the yarn (4.0 - 4.5 mm for El Rio; 4.5 - 5.0mm for Epic);
- a cable needle;
- stitch markers;
- pen & paper; and
- the usual knitting bag supplies (scissors, tape measure, etc.)
- Optional: squared/graph paper.
Adventurous beginner / Intermediate: if you're familiar with simple cable crosses and basic increases and decreases and you're comfortable reading a chart or following line by line instructions, you have the skills required for this class!
Fiona Ellis is a graduate of DeMontfort University (England) with a degree in fashion knitwear design. Her designs are available in leading magazine publications including on-line at Twist Collective. She is the author of Inspired Cable Knits, Knitspiration Journal and Inspired Fair Isle Knits. You can find out what she is currently doing at fionaellisonline.com—check out her blog post on the 9th of each month. Why take a class with Fiona? She's knowledgeable and talented but even more important, she's patient and kind. You'll learn so much from Fiona (just like Barb and Cynthia)!
Read these helpful tips before you register:
- You have to pay the registration fee in advance to hold your seat. You can register online or call the store at 780-477-9276 to make a payment over the phone.
- As this is an online class, you will need to have Zoom downloaded on a computer, tablet or mobile device. If using a computer, make sure you also have a webcam and microphone built in or attached.
- The class session(s) will be recorded and copies of all/segments of the class will be available for you to review for a limited time after the class session(s).
- Refunds? If you cancel 14 days (or more) prior to your workshop date, we will transfer your registration fee to a RCY gift card at no charge or offer a refund less a 10% cancellation fee. The cost of any materials provided to you will be subtracted from any refunds/transfers.
- No refunds will be made if you have to cancel less than 14 days before your class is scheduled to begin. If minimum enrolment is not met we reserve the right to cancel the class. A full refund of your registration fee will be given should this situation arise.
Questions, comments, concerns, suggestions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.