The Woodland Leaves mittens, designed by Fiona Ellis, bring back fond memories of the annual Wool, Wine and Wheels knitting retreats that Cynthia and Barb used to host, every year in November. Fiona Ellis was our instructor on one of these fun retreats, and designed this pattern to teach us about knitting colour and cables. 50 plus friends boarded Canada's own Via Rail train here in Edmonton, and spent a long weekend together, learning, laughing and creating memories at Jasper Park Lodge. Those were definitely the good ole days!
These fun mitten kits are colour coordinated for you, using one of our favourite merino yarns, Alegria Grande from Manos del Uruguay. Kettle dyed in a brilliant range of colours, it's softness and machine washability makes it perfect for mittens.
Boredom Buster kits are designed to entertain, and this project has you knitting flat and in the round, choosing cabled or colourful fair isle cuffs, and practicing making i-cord ties and pretty leaves. Make a pair or two for yourself or for gifts to give special loved ones! Extra skeins of Allegria Grande available here
Each Boredom Buster Kit includes:
- One full skein (100 grams) of Manos Alegria Grande;
- Two 25 gram Bocados (mini skeins) of Manos Alegria Grande in contrasting colours;
- A printed copy of the Woodland Leaves Mitten pattern by Fiona Ellis
- A little sweet treat to enjoy while you make your project AND
- An limited edition enamel souvenir pin - "I get my stash from RCY" made by Brick Bubble
You'll also need:
- Pair of size 7 US/ 4.5 mm needles, set of size 7 US/ 4.5 mm DPNs, or set of size 6 US / 4 mm DPNs if making a denser mitten hand.
- A yarn needle
- A cable needle (for cable cuff only).
What's in one skein of Manos Alegria Grande.
Ball Weight: 100 gm / 3.5 oz
Ball Length: 197 yards(180 meters)
Knitting Gauge: 18 sts = 10cm / 4"
Needle Size: 4.0 - 5.0mm (US 6 - 8)
Yarn Fibre: 75% Merino Wool 25% Nylon / Polyamide
Care Instructions: Hand wash. Lay flat to dry.
Note about yarns from our website: Photographs aren't perfect; they don't capture the texture and feel of the yarn. Colours viewed on different monitors may have shade and tone differences from the actual product. If you would like assistance with selecting a colour or an opinion/advice on finding a good yarn for your project, please feel free to give us a call.