Online classes are the best! Take this class from the comfort of your home, on Zoom. We love that we're able to bring Holli Yeoh to you for this multi-session class.
Toe Up Socks: Knit to Fit!
What it's About: This toe-up sock class is a skill building opportunity to knit socks with completely replaceable heels and toes. Over three weeks we’ll tackle the beautifully invisible Turkish cast-on, Holli’s favourite increases, placeholder stitches for the heel, a stretchy sewn bind-off with no sewing, opening a large hole in your sock for the heel, and grafting on the needles. Take this opportunity to learn a “new-to-you” technique for working in the round: using two circular needles, or one long circular needle for the Magic Loop technique or double pointed needles. Or feel free to use needles that you’re most familiar with while learning the other new skills. This online workshop is presented in three sessions, each 2 hours long, over three weeks. Worried about missing a class? See the "helpful tip" note below about class recordings. (River City Yarns will also purchase a copy of Holli's Tip Toe Up Sock pattern on Ravelry and send to all paid registrants right after the first class.)
Our next workshop takes place on Saturdays, October 7, 14 & 21. Each session is 2 hours long and begins at 11:00 am PDT, 12:00 pm MDT, 1:00 pm CDT, 2:00 pm EDT, 3:00 pm ADT.
There will be homework each week so you’re ready to try the next step in the class together. You may knit a sock of any size, but plan to work about half the sock between each class. If you’re knitting a sock for someone else, come to class with the foot circumference and foot length (not shoe size).
Skill Level: participants should have experience knitting in the round. If you’ve never knit a sock before, use heavier yarn such as DK or worsted weight and needles about two sizes smaller than the ball band recommendation.
two coordinating sock yarns in light or medium colours. (Please use light colours so it’s easier for both of us to see your stitches, especially over the Zoom screen!)—see yardage required below;
- needles appropriate to the weight of yarn (suggestions below): your choice of
- two circular needles; 24” (60 cm) length is recommended but this method can be done on any length of needle OR
- If you want to learn Magic Loop you’ll need one circular needle; at least 32” (80 cm) long OR
- If you want to use double pointed needles, you’ll also need two circular needles, any length
- basic knitter’s tool kit (scissors, darning needle, measuring tape)
Yarn, Gauge & Needles: Yardage is completely dependent on the yarn weight, your gauge, foot circumference, foot length and leg length. The generous yardage specified below is for a 9 1⁄2" / 24 cm foot (shoe size US Women’s 9/Men’s 8, UK 7.5, EUR 41).
- Fingering weight (32 sts with 2.25mm/US 1 needles) 450 yd / 410 m
- Sport weight (28 sts with 2.75mm/US 2 needles) 400 yd / 365 m
- DK weight (26 sts with 3.25mm/US 3 needles) 375 yd / 345 m
- Worsted weight (24 sts with 3.75mm/US 5 needles) 350 yd / 320 m
Holli’s passion for knitting has spanned a lifetime, from learning to knit as a child to her fine arts degree majoring in textiles and jewellery, and a solid 18 years of design and teaching experience. Her work has appeared in industry leading publications including Vogue Knitting, Interweave Press, Amirisu and Twist Collective, as well as in her Ravelry shop and in her book Tempest, published in collaboration with Sweet Georgia Yarns. Check out all the lovely designs by Holli, exclusively for River City Yarns, too.
Why Learn from Holli?
Holli feels strongly about fine craftsmanship, believing that while there’s more than one right way to do things, it’s important to do it right! To this end, she teaches skills that enable knitters to feel justified pride in their finished objects, while accommodating different knitting styles and preferences. Students leave her workshops with an arsenal of valuable techniques, deep understanding of the choices to be made in knitting, and new confidence. Her courses are well polished, solidly prepared and cater to students at every level.
Read these helpful tips before you register:
- You have to pay the registration fee in advance to hold your seat. You can register online or call the store at 780-477-9276 to make a payment over the phone.
- As this is an online class, you will need to have Zoom downloaded on a computer, tablet or mobile device. If using a computer, make sure you also have a webcam and microphone built in or attached.
- The class session(s) will be recorded and copies of all/segments of the class will be available for you to review for a limited time after the class session(s).
- Refunds? If you cancel 14 days (or more) prior to your workshop date, we will transfer your registration fee to a RCY gift card at no charge or offer a refund less a 10% cancellation fee. The cost of any materials provided to you will be subtracted from any refunds/transfers.
- No refunds will be made if you have to cancel less than 14 days before your class is scheduled to begin. If minimum enrolment is not met we reserve the right to cancel the class. A full refund of your registration fee will be given should this situation arise.
Questions, comments, concerns, suggestions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photography by Holli Yeoh