We love online learning. Especially when we're able to bring great instructors like Kate Atherley right to you. Using Zoom as our online videoconferencing platform, you can take this class from anywhere.
The perfect hat, every time. A stash buster, too!
Make a hat for any head, with any yarn in your stash. We’ll teach you how to work a top-down hat to fit any head, without a swatch! We’ll show you how to customize the style and fit – work to the length you want, make it slouchy or fitted, fold-over cuff or beanie-style, add custom ribbings and cuff patterns, work with different colors. Whether you want to make a quick gift or use up your stash, or free yourself from patterns, this class will make you a better and more powerful hat knitter. PERFECT for that last minute, seasonal gift... your mother-in-law will love it!
This class will take place in two, 2-hour sections, one week apart. The class dates and times are: Thursdays, November 30 and December 7 starting at 3:00 pm PST, 4:00 pm MST, 5:00 pm CST, 6:00 pm EST, 7:00 pm AST, 7:30 pm in NL.
Skill Level: Suitable for knitters who have experience working in the round.
Please bring to class:
- the measurement of the head you want to fit;
- any yarn you want to use (see below) as well as a bit of scrap yarn in a similar weight
- knitting needles for working in the round: DPNs and 16 inch circular in the size recommended for the yarn,
- removable and standard stitch markers
- blunt-ended darning needle
- Note on yarn: if using fingering weight/sock yarn, you need approximately 300m, for dk weight yarn, you need approximately 250m, and/or for worsted weight or thicker yarn, you need approximately 150m.
Kate Atherley has been teaching knitting professionally for more than 15 years at stores and events all over Canada, the U.S. and the U.K. Her latest book, Custom-Fit Hats is her ninth, and the fourth in a series on customizing projects for perfect fit and style; it joins works on shawls, socks, and mittens. Her focus in all her work is the empowerment of knitters, illuminating both the methods and mechanics of the craft. The combination of her university degree in mathematics, professional experience in software development and usability, and training in garment and fashion design give her a unique perspective. She also works as a technical editor, helping other designers and authors bring their work into the world. She lives in Toronto with her husband and the family of skunks under their porch. www.kateatherley.com
Read these helpful tips before you register:
- You have to pay the registration fee in advance to hold your seat. You can register online or call the store at 780-477-9276 to make a payment over the phone.
- Time Zones: the class times listed are Mountain Time (MT).
- As this is an online class, you will need to have Zoom downloaded on a computer, tablet or mobile device. If using a computer, make sure you also have a webcam and microphone built in or attached.
- The class session(s) will be recorded and copies of all/segments of the class will be available for you to review for a limited time after the class session(s).
- Refunds? If you cancel 14 days (or more) prior to your workshop date, we will transfer your registration fee to a RCY gift card at no charge or offer a refund less a 10% cancellation fee. The cost of any materials provided to you will be subtracted from any refunds/transfers.
- No refunds will be made if you have to cancel less than 14 days before your class is scheduled to begin. If minimum enrolment is not met we reserve the right to cancel the class. A full refund of your registration fee will be given should this situation arise.
Questions, comments, concerns, suggestions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.