We've arranged to hold a class with Ann Budd on Zoom. You can take this class from the comfort of your own home and the session will be recorded, in case you have any internet connection issues.
"Designer Sweater" by you and for you!
The Sweater Design Workshop is a class on designing your own bottom-up seamed sweater from scratch. The construction will follow the Modified Drop-Shoulder Sweaters in Sweater Patterns, though the book is not required. The advantage to designing your own sweater is that you’re not limited by the yarn, gauge, or size given in a pattern.
What it's About
For this, which may be the first sweater you design on your own, Ann will show you how to create a modified drop-shoulder construction worked from the bottom up, which is easiest for new designers. Once you’ve determined your stitch pattern for the body, the armholes and neck are easily shaped with decreases and the sleeve caps require no shaping.
The assumption for this class is that you’ve knitted sweaters before following published patterns and are ready to venture into designing on your own. You can make the design as simple or complicated as you want. Through six, two-hour online sessions over the course of eight weeks, Ann will guide you through every step, from determining your size and gauge to centering a stitch pattern to seaming and finishing.
This multi-session workshop is scheduled on Wednesdays: November 9, 16, 23, December 14, 21 (2022) and January 4 (2023), starting at 3:30 pm PT, 4:30 pm MT, 5:30 pm CT, 6:30 pm ET, 7:30 pm AT. There are no classes on November 30, December 7 and December 28.
Skill Level: Intermediate. You are an experienced knitter and you are able to put aside some time between each class to work on your project.
Class Supplies: We'll have more information coming soon, but for now, here's a bit to get you started.
- Resource: while not required, we do recommend that you purchase a copy of The Knitter’s Handy Book of Sweater Patterns. If you are unable to order your copy from River City Yarns (we appreciate your support), it is also available online through many booksellers.
- Yarn: the yarn requirements for Child Sizes and for Adult Sizes are available in the photo gallery (to the left). You have 5 gauges to choose from: 3 - 7 sts/inch or 12 - 28 sts/4 inches and 5 child and 10 adult chest sizes.
Ann BuddAnn Budd is a teacher, writer, designer, and founder of Knit for Fun Retreats. She is the author of more than a dozen books, including The Knitter’s Handy Book series, Getting Started Knitting Socks, Sock Knitting Master Class, New Directions in Sock Knitting, and many of books in Interweave’s Style series. Ann lives in Boulder, Colorado, and teaches workshops across North America and beyond. Learn more at annbuddknits.com.
Read these helpful tips before you register:
- You have to pay the registration fee in advance to hold your seat. You can register online or call the store at 780-477-9276 to make a payment over the phone.
- As this is an online class, you will need to have Zoom downloaded on a computer, tablet or mobile device. If using a computer, make sure you also have a webcam and microphone built in or attached.
- The class session(s) will be recorded and copies of all/segments of the class will be available for you to review for a limited time after the class session(s).
- Refunds? If you cancel 14 days (or more) prior to your workshop date, we will transfer your registration fee to a RCY gift card at no charge or offer a refund less a 10% cancellation fee. The cost of any materials provided to you will be subtracted from any refunds/transfers.
- No refunds will be made if you have to cancel less than 14 days before your class is scheduled to begin. If minimum enrolment is not met we reserve the right to cancel the class. A full refund of your registration fee will be given should this situation arise.
Questions, comments, concerns, suggestions? Please contact email@example.com.